September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 299 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,929
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope to have the OPTION to hunt every day when I retire. Even getting out for 45minutes to an hour is good exercise and does my mind a world of good. Deer hunting can be similar. Spending the whole day out in the woods for a couple of weeks is tiring. A few hours in the morning or evening, not so much. I love it when the Blue Grouse are close to home. I do not chase them all the time but it is nice to get out for a short hunt regularly.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Sidelock
Sidelock

CrapperZapper, what about the reality of having spent your working years employed doing hard physical labor for low wages and no benefits? What do you do for retirement income when your employer did not pay into Social Security for you? I guess you just work until you die.

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
No, the donor class needs cheap labor under the ruse of competition.
I willingly admit I have felt the joy of hiring illegals. The way they cowed before me. Knowing that with but the wave of my hand, all they had could be lost. They shook like dogs before my mighty fist. they looked over their shoulders as I strutted around, waiting for the lash. Just like my setters.
And then when they expected to be paid full wages, I cheated them. I was absolutely drunk with power!

And, I made twice as much money on the concrete they finished.
I loved how they cooked their little burritos under the hood of their car.

Good Lord, if I admitted to taking advantage of cheap illegal labor and cheating and abusing them, King Brown would be shouting about it from every mountaintop. But I guess you get a pass from King because you support the same Liberal Left anti-gunners as he does.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I figure ClapperZapper's post about taking advantage of illegals was in jest. I sure hope so.

I guess I'm going to have to retire pretty soon; forty five years of practicing law is about enough. This thread is sort of a bummer, but it is good to consider the options. Me, I been here all my life, so I guess this is where I'll stay. McDonald's you say?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Satire is in short supply here. I welcome it when I see it.

You're another success, Geo: doing what you want to do where you want to live.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My father just retired at 92. I will not be so blessed with good health and longevity. He waited too long and now has limited chances to do things in retirement he might have done earlier. Health is declining, my mother has passed and almost all famy and friends his age are gone. You should retire at 20, go to work at 35 and work until you die I think. smile

Seeing his example I have decided to work until 75 if able but add more time off as I go. I am taking off three weeks this year to hunt birds, three weeks to visit or host family and two weeks for holidays. If that sounds like a lot it is for me. In the last 40 years I have never taken off more than two weeks total per year. If it goes well I intend to add one more week hunting next year and the year after that. Ten weeks off should keep me rested but still working enough to pay the bills. If my kids had loved me enough to get B's and C's I could have saved a million dollars in Ivy Leage College expenses. Oh well it's time to go back to work. Do what you want when you can because tomorrow is not guaranteed to anyone.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was retired from 2003-2008. When one kid started college and the other med school, it was time to hit the bricks again. Work is overrated as a way of life unless necessary. Being a serial hobbyist all of my life, I had plenty to do. I've always thought that full time employement was a Calvinistic plot. wink Some work to live; others live to work; a fortunate few just live. Dad retired at age 78 when his VA disability hit 100%. He could have retired earlier and when I asked why he didn't, his reply: "Would you want to stay home all the time with someone like YOUR mother?" I undertstood. Some folks have all the luck in choosing parents. Prince Charles comes to mind..

Sidelock
Sidelock

You think King?
smile
I compete against slave labor. Why would I want anyone's sons to live like a slave? For a cheaper carpet install?

One of the odd things about imagineering with my lovely wife was how unimaginative her desires had become. She wanted new drapes. It was a huge move to get her to take Ukelele lessons. Now she plays in a band.

So, again, imagine deeply, allocate time in a restful manner, match resources, make choices.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

In mid life I took a 6 yr retirement I guess for practice and lived in a tent and bummed around the country running traplines and hunting through the fall and winter. At 42 I decided to go back to work and put together a decent grubstake for the next retirement so I wouldn't have to bother with the odd jobs in the off season.

We retired to the WA coast, it is never hot, never really cold and you don't have to shovel rain. Duck hunting is incredible, the forests abound with bobcat, mountain lions, coyotes, bear, elk and deer.

My wife has her own motor home when she has the notion she heads to warmer climates in the winter. After hunting season is over up here, I hunt upland from the coast here to the Dakotas and waterfowl all over WA plus my passion for hunting coyotes everywhere. I head south hunting coyotes through NV, UT, AZ and NM catching up with her in lat Feb. spending a month or so basking in the sun sightseeing and coyote hunting before we make a slow trek back to WA to enjoy the summers here.

Find a nice low maintenance home base that you could go to if things get tough, doctors, close stores etc. and get mobile, I have a van set up with a bunk that I can hunt out of and live in, I've met hunting partners all over the west and everywhere you go there is so much interesting stuff to see. One year my wife and I spent much of the spring pursuing the best chili cheeseburger in NM(Sparky's in Hatch, NM). It is surprising all the folks from around the country that we've met on the road also. Do you know there is a RV campground outside of Douglas, AZ that is a trap shooting mecca, The rifle range outside of Tucson has RV sights and there is free camping on BLM land all over the west.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
I figure ClapperZapper's post about taking advantage of illegals was in jest. I sure hope so.

I sure hope so too Geo, but if you consider the totality of what he has told us in recent weeks, it seems plausible that he did indeed take advantage of cheap Illegal Immigrant labor for his personal enrichment. But he also gives us his recommendations on what should be done to stop the bleeding from the damage it has caused. And then he continues to support and defend and vote for the anti-gun Liberal Democrats who are propping the door open along the border and preventing enforcement of our immigration laws and calling for amnesty for law-breakers. So you tell me.

I think you'll do just fine in retirement Geo. I tried it a few years ago for a year, but when I did the math of paying for medical insurance and college tuition for two kids at the same time, plus all the other costs of living, I realized I would possibly run out of money before I died. I'm still a long way from Social Security and Medicare, and the cost of health insurance has only skyrocketed since ObamaCare passed. Not wishing to spend my golden years eating Ol' Roy dog food, I went back to work. As Gil said earlier, there is a lot to be said for not going to work every day. I kept extremely busy and was never at a loss for things to do. You will wonder how you ever had time to go to work.

I've always felt though, that a better system would be to collect your pension and Social security for about 20 years after you get out of high school and college, live it up while you are young enough to really enjoy it, and then work until you die.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: TwiceBarrel
One of the small towns in the Southern Flint Hills of Kansas is hard to beat. The people are friendly and access to large parcels of hunting land is generally available to "locals". Great quail and Prairie Chicken hunting and only an hour or so drive to good pheasant hunting. Fall is spectacular out on the prairie and winters are usually fairly mild with the worst of the cold over by mid February. Housing in the more rural areas is quite affordable. Oh yeah the ranch ponds are never fished and are full of bass and catfish plus we are over run with Turkey and Deer but don't tell anybody.

I've turkey hunted the Flint Hills around Alma quite a few times. Awesome hunting!!!! Usually saw a lot of quail. I wouldn't mind living there.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.