June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 256 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,517
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a .750 bore Kolar for a while. Didn't pattern great and the gun just didn't fit. definitely not a light weight. Dropped out of M to AA. I had previously shot a Beretta Trap models. Now I shoot a 32" high rib CG. NO PORTS!!!! LM&M never leave the barrels. I haven't had to use spreaders lately due to the long range rabbits that are becoming prevalent. I've notched a few punches and working my way back to M....I hope smile.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

OWD,
I think bore size would effect weight, which would effect recoil.
If you have two seperate tubes of equal wall thickness,but slightly different bore size, the larger one will weigh more,as there is slightly more wall metal...I think that's right...?
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Barrel "tuning" is my pet peeve and just so much bullshiiit. Anyone thinks they can make a Perazzi (or similar) barrel "better" is living in a fantasy land. Like Neil Winston (google for info) commented - if a barrel "tuner" could make a barrel shoot like crap and then "fix" it so it shot like prize winner he'd believe the hype. There were, big surprise, no takers. And there is no empirical data to support ANY claims about ports and big bores - just hype and "it feels better" (since I pounded $1k into the work and it better be cuz I ain't gonna admit it's not) kinda reports.

I can understand to a point about opening chokes that are too tight for a particular game. Mutilating a primo barrel with screw-ins or ports should be criminalized. If the gun isn't what you want then get one that is and don't fook up something that may be irreplaceable.

Of course I'm only referring to quality guns and you can do anything you like to some junker.

JMO of course and I could GAF if you believe the BS

have another day
Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kolar has indeed gone to 740 'Light Contour' barrels.
I recently had a 34" Unsingle Trap barrel fitted to my SC gun at the factory.
I was concerned about the length but it's just great!
Still weighs slightly more than my 28" old style SC barrels.
I also purchased a set of Titanium choke tubes just because!
Rags, Jeff et al really know competition shotguns.
You can walk in and have most any service performed while you wait.
Barrels took two weeks with shooting to POI when I picked up the gun.

Last edited by Dick_dup1; 08/28/15 01:38 PM.
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kolars have less recoil because most of them weigh 9 pounds or more.
I do believe that long forcing cones, somewhat bigger bores and long choke taper do contribute to better patterns, but each of these things only provide a tiny improvement. Lots of excellent competitors have their barrels "Eysterized" no matter whose gun they are shooting. I consider my Perazzi with 0.740 bores, long cones and factory original 6.5" fixed chokes to be the ultimate in barrel performance. For serious competition it gets fed B&P ammo - this way I have zero excuses and all the confidence in the world in my equipment.
Regards,
Jeff

Last edited by JNW; 08/28/15 01:48 PM.

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mr Sane-

What do you think about the info posted here:

http://www.winscoreonline.com/view_resul...mp;class_id=All

I don't think tuning your bbls is going to turn a lousy shooter into a pro. A lousy shooter is a lousy shooter - regardless of the gun.

But if you're competing at top levels, some modifications may give you the tiny edge you need to win.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't think any tiny modification will change the success of any shooter, not matter how high on the pole he may be. If you have hit the bird with a common shotgun, your will hit it with a high tech shotgun. If you hit it with a top of the line, high tech shotgun, you will have hit it with a common shotgun. Make sure your shotgun shoots to "Point of Aim". That's all you need.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I don't think any tiny modification will change the success of any shooter, not matter how high on the pole he may be.
x1

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

A.J. Aubrey had it all 'figerd out in 1908, at least that's what the Sears catalog said wink
"Shooting qualities - As before explained, the shooting qualities of these guns are unequaled for long distance killing, long range shooting, for penetration, pattern or target. Both barrels are full choke bore, so firmly constructed that unlike other guns, there is no recoil or kicking. That which in other guns goes into recoil in the A J Aubrey gun goes to give greater force to the shot."

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: buzz
Stan, You must be shooting some spreaders then with those tight chokes at regular sporting? What brand spreaders do you like? Do you use that Perazzi for FITASC or do you go to tighter chokes?

Hi buzz,

I do not shoot spreaders. I admit I do this thing a little differently, sporting I mean, but I started shooting this gun with these chokes about 6-7 years ago, and never looked back. My scores increased until I punched into M class in 2010, although the last few punches to put me there were gained with my BSS at the S x S event at the 2010 U. S. Open. I on;y shot a couple small registered shoots in 2014, so they bumped me back down to AA, which suited me to a "T". smile I have a confidence level that is hard to explain when shooting these fixed chokes. I just know that there is nothing they will throw that I cannot crush with them. As to the close stuff ............. it just goes away in a puff of dust. I thought, when I started shooting these tight fixed chokes, that I might lose some close rabbits or crossers because of them, but that has not been the case. When the other guys on my squad are deciding how open a choke they can get by with, on a particular presentation, and changing them, I am thinking about how I will set up on it, whether or not I will begin my gun moving at sight of the bird or when I hear the trap throw, what the line is, what the speed is, where is the best place to break each bird in the pair, stuff like that. Maybe they are smarter than me, and are able to process more information in a brief time than me, but I just shoot higher scores when I'm not fiddling with choke tubes. YMMV.

I have settled into a groove that is working for me. I cannot shoot many registered targets a year. I love to shoot S x S events when possible, and doing that cuts into my total amount of big shoots I can shoot a year. But, what I am doing is working for me, I think, as evidenced by a shoot I was able to attend on Friday only recently. It was the NWTF "Turkey Shoot", a big sporting clays event with lots of side games that happens in August each year. I have not been to a big shoot the whole year, until that one. Because I was only able to be there on Friday I shot the competition 5-Stand, the Prelim, and the S x S event. I won AA class in the 5-Stand, won Veteran's concurrent in the 5-Stand, and won AA class in the S x S event. My score in the 5-Stand tied the second highest for the whole event, a 45x50. 395 entrants in the shoot.

http://app.scoringpro.com/public/awardssummary.aspx?enc=936BbrRl5E4imlu/L52CdZ9kBZZ7S4I43+g3Mlx7kv4=

Tight chokes work for me, and several top guns as well. King George included.

SRH

Oh, I forgot. I hardly ever shoot FITASC. I can't shoot everything at a big shoot without stretching myself too thin, and I really like the Main Event, the Five Stand, the Make-A-Break, and the Long Bird comps the best, and try to concentrate on them.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 08/28/15 08:23 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.