Hi everyone over many years I have had a permanent battle with rust and I must admit I have won the odd battle but I have come to the conclusion that as to winning the war I have no chance. Though at a local Automobile show I came across this car in these two photographs.

[URL=http://s104.photobucket.com/user/damascus_02/media/Rusty%20Car/IMG0027B.jpg.html][/URL

And it intrigued me firstly how did they get it to rust reasonably even for such a large object? Secondly how long did it take? And the BIG question what did you use to rust it with? And why did I want to know because Rust Bluing! And Damascus Barrel browning, had the owners of this car come up with a new method of controlled rusting? And as far as I know they had in a way come up with a method using a bit of lateral thinking that I had never come across and it works well.
The answers.
They worked a single panel at a time making sure it was perfectly clean with no oil contamination using Petrol as a solvent.
They matted the steel panels with Wire wool.
Using a hand spray bottle covered the clean metal surface with a fine sprayed mixture of Salt and Hydrogen Peroxide.
I did a quick trial myself on some mild steel plate and it works incredibly well. Though I must say here that Brit land has a Maritime climate extremely damp.
Just food for thought!!

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!