Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Could very well be that the law has changed, but unless it has, anyone with an FFL can do "occasional" importations. It was my understanding--which may be wrong, or the law may have changed--that while those with an import license have to mark their guns, those with just your common, garden variety FFL doing the occasional importation do not.

I have a British 20, clearly imported as a used gun. (It predates the ATF by several decades.) The importer's mark is on the underside of the rib, nicely hidden by the forend. I've seen numerous other guns, imported used, that are similarly marked. Still acceptable? On new guns, my understanding is the same as GrouseGunner's.

The law has not 'changed' per se. The ATF has re-interpreted the standard.
Mostly it came about due to milsurps and black rifles, but has no exemptions for 'fine' guns.

If your 20 predates the ATF and GCA '68, the importers mark was done by choice. It was not required before that point.

Individual FFL's can do an occasional import. I have done exactly one. One was enough. I did the one to learn the process and to see if it was a direction I would want to pursue. Nope.

Here is the kind of marking now being done on milsurps. Even if the gun already has a factory serial number, the ATF is now requiring a new one, marked to meet the reinterpreted standard.

Marking Requirements
Licensed Importer – 18 U.S.C. § 923(i) and 27 CFR § 478.92
26 U.S.C. § 5842 and 27 CFR § 479.102
1. SERIAL NUMBER
Must be conspicuously engraved, cast or stamped (impressed) on the firearm frame or
receiver

The serial number cannot duplicate the serial number appearing on any other firearm the
importer previously imported

For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping
(impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print
size no smaller than 1/16 inch

2. NAME of MANUFACTURER
Must be conspicuously engraved, cast or stamped (impressed) on the firearm frame,
receiver, barrel or slide

For firearms imported after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting or stamping
(impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch

3. COUNTRY of ORIGIN
Must be conspicuously engraved, cast or stamped (impressed) on the firearm frame,

(impressing) of the country of origin must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch

4. MODEL DESIGNATION (If assigned)

(impressing) of the model designation must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch

5. CALIBER OR GAUGE

(impressing) of the caliber or gauge must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch

6. NAME of IMPORTER

Firearms Verification - Gun Control Act Definitions 2
(impressing) of the importer’s name must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch
7. CITY & STATE of the IMPORTER

(impressing) of the importer’s city and state must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch

Mike