July
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (battle, earlyriser, Jimmy W, Bill Davis, Kolar Dickson, 2 invisible), 174 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,646
Posts547,386
Members14,434
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Very "Special" indeed frown

Crolle pattern clearly seen beneath the blue

Winchester "Proof Steel" is Chrome Moly introduced with the M21 in 1931, and replaced the "Nickel Steel" on M12 & M97.
Winchester Proof Steel is a AISI 4140 anaylsis-FYI

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

do hit come wid wheels an ah lan yard?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Those 3 bidders should be glad they didn't meet the reserve. One of those guys would have dropped in a 3 1/2 inch shell in that gun and there goes a hand and a couples eyes and probably a whole lot of other body parts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

While I would certainly agree this gun should never have had the chambers lengthened to 3˝" it is not a given that it will actually "Blow UP" on the first round. I think we all here recall the Parker 12ga damascus which took 30K psi before her seams let go. Also someone, Buck Hamlin as I recall, took an L C Smith Damascus hammer gun in 12ga & lengthened its chambers to 3˝". This gun had badly pitted "Unusable" sewer pipe bbls. He started with the heaviest loads of Blue Dot listed in the manuals & went up from there. Finally quit when the gun simply refused to stay shut with the shot, but didn't succeed in blowing her up. These guns were of course "NOT" fired from the shoulder.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

And I always strongly disagreed with that testing and the publishing of his results. They held, but the way I look at it, those results can or should have only been applied to those specific set of twist barrels and no others. There is just to many variables that apply to twist barrels to reliably apply his results across the entire spectrum of twist barrels.

But its your eyes not mine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
And I always strongly disagreed with that testing and the publishing of his results. They held, but the way I look at it, those results can or should have only been applied to those specific set of twist barrels and no others. There is just to many variables that apply to twist barrels to reliably apply his results across the entire spectrum of twist barrels.

But its your eyes not mine.

I suppose that safety crash testing of new automobiles has no relevance to others made the same because the one that was tested was the only one exactly like itself? Why do destructive testing on anything? It has no relevance because each specific item tested is destroyed? Preposterous.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Building an automobile is far different from building a set of barrels. If YOu won't buy that shotgun and drop in a modern 3 1/2 inch shell into the chamber and shoot it why would you want anyone else too?

But, if you feel safe, have at it, its your eyes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: lagopus
Just looking at the stamping of the letter on the barrels and rib show that it was done with stamping dies and an unsteady hand.

I guess the seller thought 'no proof laws; no problem'. Before considering purchase ask the seller to test fire it and stand at least 100 yards away. He should be locked up! Lagopus.....

Maybe the guy had to get the gunsmith drunk before he would stamp it..

Sidelock
Sidelock

looks like it was a decent graded elsie 10ga B4 some idiot messed it up......looks like it was done in the 50s or 60s with the use of the proof steel moniker...and the fact that recently that would of been a $800-1000 gun without its "improvements".....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: topgun
"I sent a message to the seller pointing out the problems with the gun."

Thanks for taking the time to send your comments to this seller, Joe; and I hope he's smart enough to heed your advice.

I did receive a "thank you" response from the seller.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.