Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes...it was a squirrel

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

All it takes is for one rodent to die inside a wall due to poison and that will be the last time you'll try poison. We have a lot of squirrels, grey and flying, in our neighborhood. I had a bag of pecans in the walk in pantry. Squirrels were getting to it fron the attic. Or so I thought. I had enough of Rocky so I bought a heavy duty rat trap and baited it with peanut butter. Wife was cooking pork chops with her back to the open pantry and the trap went off. Got the bastard. Except it was the size of a small cat with a hairless tail. I fought them for about a month and rid the house of them. Then they came back. Local feed and seed man said use this poison. "They will leave the house in search of water and die outside." Big myth by poison salesman. One died by poisoning in the almost century old wall in the master bedroom. Fortunately it was wintertime and we went on vacation with windows open and door sealed to keep the smell out of the rest of the house. It took two weeks to dissipate. Damn hair tailed rodents cut pinecones in the back yard on the patio deck and in the front yard, cut sweetgum balls in the spring and summer leaving a mess on cars and sidewalks. I hate them meeces to pieces along with their other cousins. I used to shoot bushy tails with a .22 single shot Remington for the pot, but not in my neighborhood.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In my youth, a 5mm Sheridan pellet rifle was my squirrel go gun. Then 22 short. I did use a 410 once, but I felt it made way to much noise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
All it takes is for one rodent to die inside a wall due to poison and that will be the last time you'll try poison. We have a lot of squirrels, grey and flying, in our neighborhood. I had a bag of pecans in the walk in pantry. Squirrels were getting to it fron the attic. Or so I thought. I had enough of Rocky so I bought a heavy duty rat trap and baited it with peanut butter. Wife was cooking pork chops with her back to the open pantry and the trap went off. Got the bastard. Except it was the size of a small cat with a hairless tail. I fought them for about a month and rid the house of them. Then they came back. Local feed and seed man said use this poison. "They will leave the house in search of water and die outside." Big myth by poison salesman. One died by poisoning in the almost century old wall in the master bedroom. Fortunately it was wintertime and we went on vacation with windows open and door sealed to keep the smell out of the rest of the house. It took two weeks to dissipate. Damn hair tailed rodents cut pinecones in the back yard on the patio deck and in the front yard, cut sweetgum balls in the spring and summer leaving a mess on cars and sidewalks. I hate them meeces to pieces along with their other cousins. I used to shoot bushy tails with a .22 single shot Remington for the pot, but not in my neighborhood.

Pretty sure you and I watched the same cartoons when we were kids.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

If a shotgun is not too big for a rat, it's not too big for a squirrel. If you run into another problem like that, Gil, let me know. My buddy here is for rent.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My little cousin and his great grandfather's (my GF) proper Squirrel gun.

a Western Long Range (Ithaca) .410 double

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 28 gauge shooter
In my youth, a 5mm Sheridan pellet rifle was my squirrel go gun. Then 22 short. I did use a 410 once, but I felt it made way to much noise.

I used the same 5mm Sheridan with a scope as a young adult. Put the combo together one night after some sipping whiskey. Took a 4X12 scope off a rifle and mounted it on the scope mounting bracket you had to buy from Sheridan. I had ordered two of them by forgetting that I had the first. Had to alter a scope mount to get the over size scope on the gun. Took ten minutes to sight it in and it was dead on from 25 yards to 40 yards. Use to shoot .410 shells at 25 yards to check zero. Set one up and lay the second end to. If you could hit the first one left and right was good, then shoot the second to check up and down. It was kind of cool having so much magnification. You could watch the pellets in flight and watch the impact. Best shot I ever had was a through and through head shot that hit the second squirrel in the chest killing him. Only doulbe I ever managed and it was pure luck.

That gun thinned out the tree rats for many years until my son took it over. Might need to see if he still has it. I did later take the $400.00 scope off and buy one intended for pellet guns. Vibration kills scopes and parallax can be a problem.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I could use a cat like that.

What does he/she rent for?

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you shoot the wrong squirrel you will surely have to answer to Bulwinkle!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am with eightbore - a Diana RWS 48 Air Rifle in .22 call with a scope and the TO6 Trigger is very effective and also safer around the house. Mine nearly penetrates a 1/4" pine board at 25 yards.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.