Originally Posted By: RyanF
Originally Posted By: rocky mtn bill
Ryan, are you saying you prefer stupidity and shallow thinking? I doubt you mean that, but it sounds as if you might.

To an extent, I do mean it. Average is best.

Intellectuals make shitty leaders, which is sort of what is troubling Brooks but, hes overthinking it. The incompetent caucus is winning the contest. Of course they are. They generally will.

The main problem with intellectual leaders is they absolutely cannot deal with any crisis. When the time comes for decisive action, a David Brooks type really will be thinking about pant creases and philosophical betrayals. Its true in politics and its true in business. They think far too much, then do nothing, and someone like Putin eats them for lunch.

The second problem is smarts rarely have any frame of reference or perspective for how the others think or live which causes them incorrectly apply abstract logical reasoning to social and relational domains. For example, the intellectual left cannot fathom why Middle American will not give up their guns. They dont know anything about the clingers.

I would prefer to confine the high brows to research at the universities, institutions, think tanks, and corporate backrooms. Smart people have ruined more companies and institutions than average people because their intelligence far too often overrides their common sense.

This is the irony of the left, and maybe part of what canvasback is noticing. The left is so very proud of their intellects but there is scant evidence that smarts produce good outcomes. The intellectual can convince himself of almost anything. Last night the best of the left told us climate change is the biggest threat facing America. Has any doomsday scenario ever come true? Just saying

Ryan, I could not agree more. Too much smarts is often more of a hindrance than a benefit.

Last edited by canvasback; 10/14/15 01:12 PM. Reason: grammar

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia