More notes on American damascus if anyone is still interested
In early 1864, Walter Baker of Ilion NY (very near Lisle NY. then home of W H Baker, but I don't know if they're related)recieved a patent for a trip hammer that was specially designed for making gun barrels (patent 41669)...one of the reasons I'm mentioning this patent, is to show the tail end of hammering, and that by the late 1860's the shotgun industry had already adopted the higher volume production techniques. I am hoping that the thread contributor with access to the Tompkins County directory will cross check the name of Walter Baker, to see if he appears anywhere near Motts Corners (prior to 1863). I'll check Jerry Swinney's files for the same.
In 1865, Ethan Allen recieved a patent for twisting, winding, and welding damascus shotgun barrels. The patent, 48249, goes into details of the process. One the witnesses is Sullivan Forehand. Then, exactly one year later Ethan recieved another patent for soldering the tubes together through internal flaming. Again Sullivan Forehand was a witness. Ethan Allen resided in Worcester Mass at the time of both patents
In 1869, a patent was issued to Selah Hiler of Harlem NY for improvement in the manufacture of gun barrels in which he states that "sucessive rolling operations" is the "usual" (manufacturing process) (by 1869). This is not the only reference to the rolling of damascus shotgun barrels in the historical record, but it is the last time I will spend trying to convince the guys still holding onto the thousands of hammering elves concept. (samurai barrels)

Lastly, although this is not for American made damascus, I thought that you might be interested to know that winding was not the only technique used for making damascus barrels. In 1892, Franz Meixner of Austria recieved a U.S. patent for a new departure in damascus barrel making that involves many cones stacked around the mandrel. This technique offers a much higher surface to surface area for welding, and theoretically offers a far stronger damascus barrel than anything seen before. (US pat 477763)

I hope I'm adding to the understanding and not inadvertantly adding to the misunderstandings involved with damascus steel shotgun barrels...Please note how the great missing chapter of American double evolution keeps cropping up ...Worcester