Originally Posted By: mel5141

At 76 , Cyril is wrapping up his second book on shot gun shooting currently. I sat and overheard a lengthy call between the author and his publisher this summer. We were in attendance at a FITASC Helice world cup event , and between rounds , Cyril was trying desperately to explain to his publisher that their suggested collaboration between the author and a non shooting editor was becoming rather frustrating.....

I can feel his pain concerning the editor. I did the first edition of my pheasant hunting book with Iowa State University Press. No helpful advice from a shooting/hunting editor. The second edition, with Countrysport Press, is a much better book. I'd like to think part of that is due to the changes I made, but I'll readily admit that most of the improvements came as a result of working with an editor who's a fellow bird hunter.

That being said, if you have a hardback copy of the first edition, hang onto it. Only about 300 came off the press (and I'm pretty sure that I sold most of them based on ads I ran in Double Gun Journal). The result is that it has some collector value, if less "literary" value than the 2nd edition.

Last edited by L. Brown; 11/06/15 09:00 AM.