I know I am e late to the discussion but I am doing a series of articles on English guns beginning the history of the rising bite or the vertical bolt as it is called in the trade from Abbey, Rigby and Bissell, Beesley, Boss, up to the present day. I am beginning with GT Abbey his patents and his move to Birmingham.
Any and all hi- rez (300 dpi jpg, RAW, tiff, pdf) pictures, ads, accounts of Kilby, Abbey, early Lindner or Daly, Donn etc guns would be appreciated. I will give you credit as you wish.
(With all due respect, it is doubtful that G.T Abbey whilst living in Birmingham working with Kilby sent the guns to Germany to have them finished for the Chicago retailers. There were plenty of out workers in Birmingham who could provide any kind of engraving or stock carving one could imagine. One need only look at some of the W&C Scott catalogues of the period to see examples of such intricate engraving and carving. Kilby was not just a barrel maker but supplied an entire gun, for example, using the GT Abbey patent and the name on the rib. However, it might be that guns with elaborate stock carving might have been finished by the US-based gunmaker.)
Niemann

Last edited by Niemann; 12/30/15 01:45 PM.