September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jtplumb), 456 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,918
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2

I think these old pumps are great. I love them all. I have gathered in five Model 37's, two Model 12's, and a 1970's Model 870. My favorite Model 37 is a pre-war 16 ga. with a 26" bbl. and is choked IC. All of my Ithacas are pre 1960. Three of them are 16 ga., one 20 ga., and one 12 ga. The 12 ga. has a 26" bbl. and is choked IC. It came with a Simmons vent rib from the factory. It is listed on the original hang tag from the factory. The Remington Model 870 is a 28 ga. and is really a decent gun also. You know, I just love these pumps. They have got me so I am leaving the two bbl. stuff in the gun cabinet. I know, if my disease gets worse, you guys will ask me to leave the forum. Can't help it, I love these old pumps. The Winchesters are nice too, a 20 ga. and a 28 ga., but my heart belongs to the Ithacas.

Tim, if you are responsible, well, thanks, I owe you one.

Ed Pirie
West Topsham, Vermont

P.S. I don't know what happened with my first post. I sure wish these computers were typewriters. Damn, they drive me nuts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow!

All this talk of 37s, 31s, 12s and 870s!

Loren, I feel soooo guilty ;-) I really can't take the credit (especially when the prices start going to go up on the old clasics.)

It was really cool last week when the shoot off at the local Vintage Skeet shoot was a Model 12 and a Fox. Just seemed right when there were a fair number of Turkish guns and plastic ones as well at shoot.

This morning I just refinished the stock on a 1950, first year, 12g 870. Probably the easiest stock I've ever refinished but with a 26" barrel and at 6.7 lbs it's going to be a great rainy day duck/pheasant gun. I probably didn't need another one of those but...

I just have so much fun shooting the pumps and build qualilty on the old Ithacas, 31s, 12s and 17s make them just a joy to explore. Like a classic sports car with a stick shift I suppose.

It's all fun.

Tim

"Not all who wander are Lost"
-Hoppie 14'
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can think of no gun that is more American than I pump. Although I think (once again) the British developed the first pump, we certainly perfected and popularized it.

I have four Ithaca Model 37's all from the King Ferry era. I visited "the school house" ( the factory was an old school) on many occasions and the plant in Ithaca several times. My first gun, like so many of my contempories, was an Ithaca pump.

I, also, have a Winchester Y-series trap gun. I shoot them all and, although I generally can be seen with a SxS, I still have a great deal of affection for these wonderful guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Im not much of a conventional pump shooter. I appreciate the 1897 Winchester and the Remington 29 and 31 guns though I dont pursue them. Here are some pumps I really find interesting:

Charles "Sparrow" Young 2 shot repeating trap gun.

Andrew Burgess Pistol grip pump shotgun(damascus barrel and one with a solid rib)

Spencer 1882 or 1883 pump shotgun.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I blame this fella for my 16/20 Ga. M-12,Solid Rib addiction,He's responsible for the 1887's and 16ga.97's as well.
Now if I could just find someone like him in the SXS realm my life would be complete.At present I'm left to my own devices

Sidelock
Sidelock

You look just like the dude on the cover of the model 12 book...
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gotta LOVE the pictures of old guns and old gunners!

What's nice about posting here is the quality of stories and the pictures!

Tim

"Not all who wander are Lost"
-Hoppie 14'
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.