Originally Posted By: keith
I would think that a toplever spring in that particular location would interfere with the safety pushrod which is typically found directly under the topstrap. Also, if it was a peg hole for the toplever spring, one leg of the spring would bear upon the underside of the toplever, and the other leg would also have to bear against something in order to create spring tension to return the toplever to center. What would there be in this location to bear against besides wood? While I certainly haven't seen every shotgun action design in the world, I would be very surprised if this hole had anything to do with a toplever spring. I also agree that it is not an oil hole.

Hi Keith,

All of my British guns have Greener lever work, and this gun has a Scott Spindle, so I am not sure about this one. But on mine the top lever spring is situated with the narrow portion of the V to the rear. The right leg of the spring is fitted into a slot in the back of the action body, and the left leg acts upon a lobe projecting from the top lever mechanism. The pin (peg) serves to keep the rear of the spring properly located.

And on my modest quality guns, the safety push rod lies under the top lever spring, and it returns the safety button to the 'safe' position by contacting the rear surface of the under bolt when it is retracted.