June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 170 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,177
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
I am heading in the right direction. I am taking the 121 shotgun to the gunsmith next Wednesday to get the mechanical problems out of the way. Then I can shoot it a bunch and decide whether the $500 rib is a good idea. I'm not that impressed with the collector value of a 121, even a Routledge bored one. For $500, Simmons will install the rib and reblue the gun. I will give instructions to be careful with the preparations.
A wise move indeed. Perhaps we can see some "before and after" pictures. When did the Routledge bore design come into the .22 rifle picture? I have never seen one, yet!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, My caveat on a quarter rib would be width. If wide enough for a Talley scope base (1/2"?) it would look like a bridge abutment on a skinny .22 barrel, IMO.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, Steve, you have to pick and choose to get the right look. Since I'm building a smoothbore, I'll be using up my supply of ivory beads and leaving the scope mounting problems to Bill F. and his Model 61.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Foxy,

Very little pipe welding for my boys...friggen union thing. Heavy plate and lots of it in 250ft diameter tanks. Manuals, automatics and "Goat's" on the floors and decks 7024 (jet rod 1G only), 6010 (5P),7018(LoHy)...We have a little machine called a "Vertimatic" that dumps molten weld deposit in a 3/4" root gap (for vertical shell welds)..weld metal is contained by brass plates on either side of the butt weld. 100% Xray on everything over 1".....a lot of preheat required these days..burr.....Lincoln loves us by the way.

Best,
Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

SDH is correct on the width of the 1/4 rib being critical for appearance. I don't have a Winchester M61 to look at to see how a 1/2" rib would look but narrower is probably better.

I don't see why something similar in design to a Talley ring couldn't be made up to fit a narrower base (rib) given .22 LR recoil or something like a tip off ring as designed for the approximately .400" dovetail on rimfire receivers could be made up to fit a narrower dovetail cut on a quarter rib.

I don't remember exactly how wide the bases were for the old Leonard Brownell Q D rings but they were reasonably narrow & that style of ring might work well & look nice on a quarter rib.

Just throwing some idea's out as a custom M61 is something I've never thought about before but I like the concept.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ken Nelson
Foxy,

Very little pipe welding for my boys...friggen union thing. Heavy plate and lots of it in 250ft diameter tanks. Manuals, automatics and "Goat's" on the floors and decks 7024 (jet rod 1G only), 6010 (5P),7018(LoHy)...We have a little machine called a "Vertimatic" that dumps molten weld deposit in a 3/4" root gap (for vertical shell welds)..weld metal is contained by brass plates on either side of the butt weld. 100% Xray on everything over 1".....a lot of preheat required these days..burr.....Lincoln loves us by the way.

Best,
Ken
Thanks Ken- nice to have a friend here who speaks the same "Lincoln Language" and their trade publication is called "The Stabilizer" Innershield welding in 1G- the old 7024 iron pwoder enhanced flux "drag rod" always seems to lay down a "banana peel off" bead when run on AC--1/4" dia. you are in the 250 AMP range-- so your local electric power grid must love your shop. I am also guessing you, and maybe only you, can understand why I get pissed just a bit at the numbnuts who think TIG welding on certain aprts (barrels) on double shotguns is a FUBAR in the making-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brittany Man
SDH is correct on the width of the 1/4 rib being critical for appearance. I don't have a Winchester M61 to look at to see how a 1/2" rib would look but narrower is probably better.

I don't see why something similar in design to a Talley ring couldn't be made up to fit a narrower base (rib) given .22 LR recoil or something like a tip off ring as designed for the approximately .400" dovetail on rimfire receivers could be made up to fit a narrower dovetail cut on a quarter rib.

I don't remember exactly how wide the bases were for the old Leonard Brownell Q D rings but they were reasonably narrow & that style of ring might work well & look nice on a quarter rib.

Just throwing some idea's out as a custom M61 is something I've never thought about before but I like the concept.

As do I-- very "Germanic" indeed.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I know this is an older thread but I just came across it and responded with pictures

Sidelock
Sidelock

For what it is worth there have been quite a few complete firearms sold on ebay in one fashion or another. Ebay depends on other sellers to rat out those peddling complete firearms and/or receivers and quite a few slip through. There was a guy who sold a couple of complete pistols simply by taking them apart and selling them as "parts." On the other hand they took down my listing for a 10-X rifleman's shooting glove one time because someone complained. Go figure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting that this thread popped up again. Morris Hallowell recently listed a G&H customized Winchester M61 with 1/4 rib & G&H detachable top mounts on his website www.hallowellco.com.

In general I think the 1/4 rib looks OK but I don't like the way the breech end of the 1/4 rib was handled. At the very least it should terminate flush with the back of the rear scope ring. Blending it into the receiver contour more like what was done with the Simmons ribbed 61 might be an option also.

Anyway, someone spent $$$ on a custom M61.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.