September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, ithaca1, SKB, 1 invisible), 221 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,881
Posts550,414
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Birdog #432770 01/14/16 07:04 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

A more detailed account of Irish Tom by the restorer Allen Owens.

http://www.mlagb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/201302_irishtom.pdf

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
James M #432793 01/14/16 09:33 PM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

There was a story in, I believe, Sporting Clays Magazine something like 20 years ago about an old punt gunner on the eastern shore who claimed to have killed 1000 ducks with one shot in a bay, as a big nor'easter was approaching. As the story went, the gun jumped loose from it's mooring and recoiled into the old man, throwing him into the icy water in the bay, at night. A young game warden heard the shot from shore and went out and looked until he found the man clinging to his skiff, nearly dead. He got him home and revived him. Bay froze over that night. Two days later, as the ice was melting, the game warden went out and picked up over 700 dead ducks. It was a wonderfully written story ........... I wish I could read it again.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
James M #432870 01/15/16 02:46 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

MARVELOUS !!!!

Slaughtering hundreds of birds on the water with a single shot. Certainly a tale of killing and sportsmanship to cherish!

And I know what market hunting was about. You may celebrate it any way you like, but it was nothing more than killing as many birds as possible with as little effort as possible. Please don't bore me with the "heroism" of the gunners. Going out into the cold and wet to work is still commonplace in a multitude of professions.

have another day
Dr.WtS

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 01/15/16 02:52 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
James M #432882 01/15/16 04:25 PM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Who said anything about heroism? I said it was a wonderfully written story.

I've got an idea to release you from that boredom. Stop reading posts about topics you dislike, Charles.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
James M #432930 01/15/16 09:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a friend in the UK who built his own punt gun, had it proved and used it to hunt once a year, yes it was legal. His favorite duck gun was an 8 bore Greener, it also was legal! He gave me a unfired 0 bore shell, it looks to be 1.25 x 10 inches long an eley of course. He said they were bringing 125 pounds 25 years ago.

bill

James M #432962 01/16/16 10:14 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

that one place the British show more sense -

there is a limit to the ducks you can shoot

why does is matter what you shoot that legal limit with

a punter seems to be a lot of work to shoot a limit with - and I would think its extra work to make sure you don't hit too many, might be fun to try once - if you do it a lot- my hats off to you

is a duck in the USA relieved it was shot with a 10 or a 12 and not an 8

since no one makes an 8 repeater- isn't being limited to two shots a bit more sporting than three from an auto 10 magnum which throws about the same load per shot?

IMHO -

James M #432973 01/16/16 11:52 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Birdog, thanks so much for the link to Irish Tom. Whatever about the politics or morality of hunting with punt guns, for the market or otherwise, I find the subject very interesting. Even in my salad days I would never have dreamed of laying in a cold, wet and dangerous punt in an attempt to murder multitudes. Still, I admit to reading tales of such with great enjoyment. Wentworth Day, et al were the masters at that kind of writing.
nial

James M #432976 01/16/16 12:14 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

At the Waterfowl Hunters Conference in Wisconsin a few years ago a guy brought a punt gun for display. It was really well made. In addition he had several copies of a current article
about punting I think in the ocean of Great Britain. It was very detailed about this guy's punting adventure. Paddling the boat ,loading, aiming, firing all, equipment all covered. While I sure in the days of "waterfowl darkening the skies" it was probably used to great effect. The story sounded like this type of bird shooting is more difficult than it would seem on the surface. Maybe George Rieger wrote the story. Does anyone recall?

nialmac #433128 01/17/16 06:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi nial,

My father told stories of some lad who used to float a punt in the Shannon estuary (Kildasyrt- Foynes) area if I am not mistaken. Dad shot geese down there, (with a Tolley 8 bore double hammer gun which he won in a shooting match cool smile ), he would hear a mighty report of a big gun sometimes and he had to investigate.
Next time I am in Limerick I will have a look in the museum.

"This is the law I quotes,
For the flats where the sea-grass roots:-
"Where the tide flows .......I floats,
and where I floats..........I shoots".
Landed gentry may claim rights on the foreshore mud,
But ownership's all the same with a spring tide on the flood.
Mallard are reared under hens,
They guard the teal on the lake,
And it's all private ground in the fens,
But the wigion are mine to take.
Out of the dark I come towards the growing light,
The lanyard under my thumb the gun laid straight and right.
Bird watchers stretch their throats uttering dismal hoots,
But where the tide flows.......I floats,
And where I floats.........I shoots. "
- Anon

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
James M #433134 01/17/16 07:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm pretty sure the stories of punt guns killing dozens of birds in one shot are just that: stories.
You could spend hours quietly paddling into position, maybe trying to herd ducks together for just one shot before they've all lifted and gone and you have to reload. Those one shot bags I've heard of are typically in single figures. Thinking about the range of shot, and the type of pattern such a gun might throw, superimposed over how a raft of duck might look at 50 yards at low elevation, that makes sense to me. A shooter with an auto, a few hours on a good flight path and a steady supply of cartridges to hand will do more damage.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.