June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (Ian Forrester, Lloyd3, MattH, 3 invisible), 242 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,630
Posts547,169
Members14,431
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
JRH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner

It does not sound like the gunsmith did a CAST it sounds like he SLUGGED the bore.

Utah,

You are correct. I went back and checked, and in fact the description stated..."We had the barrel "slugged" by a gunsmith..."

JRH

Last edited by JRH; 06/10/07 11:54 AM.
JRH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J. Stephens
JRH, Nice Sauer Daly drilling and by the sounds of it you did well on its purchase price. By the Serial number, your Drilling was produced around 1886-1887 or so.

Great info J,

Alright guys here is what we have here so far: The gun is a model 105, "Three Barrel Gun", made by J.P. Sauer for import to the U.S. by Schoverling and Daly of Manhattan N.Y. The gun was finished in the factory by an armorer with the identification "G" and was produced in approximately 1886-1887. The shotgun barrels are "Fine Damascus" 12ga barrels, while the rifle barrel is steel and most likely 38-55 caliber.

What I do not know as of yet: 1)What were the original chamber dimensions for the 12ga barrels. 2)Is the rifle barrel definitely 38-55, and if so what are the exact case dimensions. 3)What do the "SHUF" barrel markings represent. 4)What do the two "C circling R" barrel stamps represent. 5)Where might I find a competent gunsmith that can inspect the safety aspects of this firearm...

I must say...I am pleasantly surprised at the progress that has been made in such a short time identifying the different aspects of this gun. With a little good luck I foresee more great developments to come...

JRH

Last edited by JRH; 06/10/07 04:06 PM.
JRH Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting facts concerning the....The Schoverling and Daly...Charles H Ballard…and J.P.Sauer and Sons.. 38-55 connection...

JRH

Quote:
Not a great deal is known about the man who designed and patented what was to become one of the finest single shot actions made in the United States. His name was Charles H. Ballard, born in 1822 in the town of Sterling, Massachusetts. C.H. Ballard's occupation was that of a machinist. On November 5, 1861, he obtained a patent for a firearm that was to make the name "Ballard" a household word to riflemen for many years to come. After receiving the patent C.H. Ballard sold his interests to Warren Williams of the firm Ball and Williams. Ball and Williams was the first of many different firms to manufacture the new Ballard rifle in quantity.

The Ballard action patented by C.H. Ballard was manufactured by many different firms most notably Ball and Williams, R. Ball and Company, Merrimack Arms Company, and Brown Manufacturing Company. These firearms were mainly chambered for rimfire cartridges of the era and Civil War contracts figured heavily in production runs. The Ballard single shot most recognized by today's single shot enthusiast did not come along until Schoverling and Daly of New York, then holders of the Ballard patent, made arrangements with John Malon Marlin to work over the old patent and begin production in his plant.

In 1884 Schoverling and Daly throught the Ballard name first introduced the 38-55 for their single shot target rifles. Its nomenclature is derived from its approximately .38 caliber bullet, and the 55 grains of black powder with which it was charged.

Last edited by JRH; 06/10/07 05:45 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

JRH;
Upon further examination of the size marks I was speaking of, I believe they are not present on this gun. Reason is Germany's proof law was not enacted until 1891 & this one was built prior to that. Guns which had been completed & ready for sale when the act took affect were stamped with a Crown/V which made them legal to sale under the new law, but were not actually proofed. The gauge mark I spoke of would have been stamped by the proof house. This is found on guns made after 1891, but normally no later than 1912.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

JRH,

Check on the American Single Shot Rifle Association forum: http://www.assra.com

The 38-55 is very popular with single shot target folks. It is considered to be very accurate. They have many loads that they will share with you. I believe there has been some discussion there about the bore variations for this cartridge. Also a lot of information about reforming brass, etc.

You drilling looks very nice. Thanks for posting that auction site.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those on the auction site look to be clunkers to me.
I once had the drilling fever...glad I got over it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff, thanks for the dimensions of the 11.15X65 case.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just in case you need a special case, http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com can make cases from a chamber casting. They are not cheap, but they work quite well.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.