Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I would much prefer to load a "Big Hole Gun" down than a "Little Hole Gun" up.

I really prefer not to do either. I like a .410 for very light loads, 11/16 oz. and under, a 20 for 7/8 oz. loads, a 16 or a 12 for 1 oz. loads, and a 12 for everything above that.

SRH

Stan;
I was not really trying to sway anyone's opinion here just stating mine. for the type of hunting I always did I generally found I did my best shooting with guns approaching a weight of 7 lbs. "IF" I am going to carry a 7lb gun I can comfortably shoot anything up to 1Ľ oz, though most of the time my loads hovered around 1 oz. Within these parameters I would prefer a 12ga in standard chambering rather than a 3" 20ga. The "Hardware" store 20ga that I said I traded off on this account was of course suitable only for loads up to 1 oz. With a 7lb gun why limit myself.
Of course in relation to the "Hole" size 11/16oz in a .410 is an exceedingly heavy load. Based on bore capacities being proportionate to the square of their diameters the 11/16oz in a .410 is proportional to 1 9/16oz in a 20 or 2 3/16 in a 12. A .410 load proportionate to a 1oz 20 would be about 7/16 oz which would be just a bit lighter than 1 3/8oz in a 12. Anything beyond a half ounce just doesn't make sense to be in a .410.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra