Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: 2-piper
I would much prefer to load a "Big Hole Gun" down than a "Little Hole Gun" up.

I really prefer not to do either. I like a .410 for very light loads, 11/16 oz. and under, a 20 for 7/8 oz. loads, a 16 or a 12 for 1 oz. loads, and a 12 for everything above that.

SRH

Stan;
I was not really trying to sway anyone's opinion here just stating mine. for the type of hunting I always did I generally found I did my best shooting with guns approaching a weight of 7 lbs. "IF" I am going to carry a 7lb gun I can comfortably shoot anything up to 1Ľ oz, though most of the time my loads hovered around 1 oz. Within these parameters I would prefer a 12ga in standard chambering rather than a 3" 20ga. The "Hardware" store 20ga that I said I traded off on this account was of course suitable only for loads up to 1 oz. With a 7lb gun why limit myself.
Of course in relation to the "Hole" size 11/16oz in a .410 is an exceedingly heavy load. Based on bore capacities being proportionate to the square of their diameters the 11/16oz in a .410 is proportional to 1 9/16oz in a 20 or 2 3/16 in a 12. A .410 load proportionate to a 1oz 20 would be about 7/16 oz which would be just a bit lighter than 1 3/8oz in a 12. Anything beyond a half ounce just doesn't make sense to be in a .410.

I understood that, Miller. No issues with your feeling that way at all. Just stating my preferences as well.

All my best, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.