I just shipped a gun from MN to TX. USPS Priority Mail was $50, but I had it in a big 2 barrel case and then stuffed into a cardboard box that was 37" X 10" X 10". It's the toughest case for shipping I have that doesn't weigh a ton. I insured it for $4500, which is what it's worth, for another $60. It's hard to find 30" 20 bore Fox guns, so replacing it would be difficult and expensive and I consider the insurance necessary for me. I don't want to lose this.

I just researched shipping long guns. At the post office and UPS you don't have to tell them it's a gun. At Fed Ex you are supposed to inform them it's a gun. I don't know what would happen if you used Fed Ex, didn't tell them it was a gun and then had a claim. All shippers recommend that there should be nothing on the outside to indicate that there is a firearm inside. I've shipped with everyone at one time or another and the only problem I had was one Fed Ex store that insisted I ship a long gun overnight. It would have been way over $200, so I drove to a different Fed Ex office and had no problem. If you ship with your business account it's a lot cheaper than the price the general public pays.
I never like having to pack and ship a gun, but for some gunsmithing I have to ship if I want top quality craftsmen to work on my guns.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley