September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (lagopus, KDGJ, SKB, David Williamson, ithaca1, 1 invisible), 222 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,935
Posts550,894
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil, I think the pictures you've added of the period artwork and decoys are a perfect complement. There are still seasons for other shore birds besides the snipe, and the woodcock may not be perceived as a shore bird.

I would think engraving would be market driven. Standard patterns for cost managing might only be offered in the most popular patterns. One off commissions might show more woodcock scenes if they were requested.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig, thanks. In Walt's Ithaca History book, there's a Grade 4 NID with a woodcock on the bottom of the action. There are other examples in the book on trap single barrels. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: GLS
Very nice, Wild Skies.
Ive seen modern O/U and SxS Bulino engraving depicting woodcock, and on a Flues someone depicted on a forum. Ill see I can find that reference. It may have been in Walts Ithaca book.
Leverhead, arent you from NJ? The Delaware Bay side of Cape May was and still is a major stopover on shorebird migrations coincidental with horseshoe crab spawning in the spring. Migrant Red Knots from as far away as Tierra del Fuego stuff themselves with the NJ crab eggs before long distancing to inside the Arctic Circle for nesting.
There was major shorebird decoy carving and shorebird hunting on the Jersey shore. Here are a couple of Cape May curlews in original condition. The top one was swatted with what looks like a load of #4. Below the decoys is a group of curlews feeding in the Georgia marsh where they stopover before heading to Hudson Bay. One has a fiddler. A friend took the photo.

Yes, I'm about 1.5 hours from Cape May. Cape May's main attraction (for me) has always been bird watching, and migratory birds do stop off there. I really just didn't realize people hunted those shore birds. Just navet on my part.

-Leverhead
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is some cover art from the old National Sportsman magazine from the 1920's.
The magazine made prints available to subscribers. I have these in my office with a few decorative decoys. Depicted is a young hunter slogging through the saltmarsh and another hunter putting out his shorebird dekes while carrying his double.

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fun pics and comments. I'd started to mention plover in my original post, but refrained because of their much shorter bills. It would be near impossible to confuse a plover w/a woodcock or snipe. In the same breath, there are a number of shore birds that at first glace might be confused w/a snipe. Particularly by an older hunter w/< perfect eye sight or a neophyte. Woodcocks I've seen &/or bagged have bills somewhat longer than most varieties of snipe and their bills are straight rather than curved.

FWIW, I'm also of the opinion that some engravers never saw the birds or animals they were trying to depict. Some may have simply not been remotely talented. I have a Lefever G grade that I acquired many years ago only because it was the very worst example of engraving I have ever seen. The old gun is as tight as a tick & the bird depicted is clearly a pheasant [more than may be said of some 'flying turnips'] and it is rather boldly signed 'ROY'. I view it as an irreplaceable piece of Americana in spite of the many laughs Bill Wise & I had over it's acquisition and my quixotic perspective.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

TW,
Flying vegetable portrayals werent the sole province of gun engravers. Heres a decoy version of a sweet potato shaped shorebird decoy owned by Theodore Rogers, 1824-1903. Theodore Rogers was a prominent banker in NYC, president of the Bank of the Metropolitis and an avid shotgunner with memberships in all the right gun clubs on Long Island. He had a huge spread of shorebird decoys that he used in hunting the Jamaica Bay flats on the western end of Long Island. It is unknown who the carver was of these whimsical birds which rise to the level of Impressionistic folk art. Below is a dowitcher with the Rogers brand in the bottom. Rasp marks are also visible which were left by the carver. It is one of my favorite decoys. Jamaica Bay National Wildlife Refuge now occupies where Theo hunted and JFK International Airport is on the western side of the bay, built upon old wetlands.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the early stages of my decoy carving hobby, I carved a 4 bird rig of sand pipers that I intended to hunt over some day, strictly as conversation pieces for me and my friends to discuss. Reading this post reminds me I've never hunted them. All 4 birds are mounted (not permenently)on a piece of drift wood in my work shop. I would post a pic, but I seem to have an inordinate amount of trouble making picture posts happen. If I emailed a pic to one of you folks, could you post it for me?

Mergus

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Awesome, thank you guys! Finally found one, a Fulton special with a woodcock on one side and a quil on the other, the quail looks like a grouse in flight, so thats what I'll pretend it is!

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mergus's wisp of "snipe" (peeps). Neat little decoys.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice Mergus, hope some day you can hunt over them.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.