Exactly Keith.
If you use a clear Urethane that sits on top of the wood, you get a loght color that does little to help the figure in the wood. There is no finish that does less for color and figure than Urethanes. But it sure is tough. TruOil, being a clear heavier finish will also give you a lighter color, but help the figure more.

A deep penetrating ground coat will do the best for deepening color and bringing out the figure. I use Clear Danish oil a lot as a ground coat. And it really does darken the wood a LOT. Permalyn sealer is nice. But does not darken as much.

Some finishes have some color to them and this gives the wood some color. I use a lot of Amber Shellac and Timberluxe. Shellac is a correct old style finish for American guns that gives the wood a redish orange hue. Timberluxe gives a reddish tint and really pulls the light into the wood and makes the figure pop.

Different sorts of jobs call for different thpes of finishes.

When trying to match a forend or a butt, checking the blank with alcohol is always a good indication at the start of what i am dealing with.
If i am restocking the butt and leaving the forend, i usually still refinish and point ip the forend checkering as to bring everything together. Unless the forend finish is in great shape the start with.

B.Dudley