Nero, you might have something there, but I'll let others figure it out. I won't fire another low number 03 again. I made a carefully considered decision when I decided to shoot mine, but I would not make the same decision after this experience.

Everyone has to make their own decisions about this and I won't criticize anyone that feels that he should do as I did and shoot a low numbered rifle, but I just won't do it again. I posted this note because I want everyone to have the best information moving forward, regardless of what you decide to do.

I do wish Michael was around to talk about this. I don't blame him in the slightest, but I wonder what he would have said about it.

Additional thoughts:
Just as I posted this originally, it occurred to me that if this was a case of powder detonation as claimed by some where there is large air spaced in the cartridge case, then the barrel probably should have blown, yet the receiver is what went to pieces and the barrel is almost good enough to reuse. Had this been a powder detonation, I think the barrel and chamber area would be badly ruptured. So, in re-reconsideration, I believe this is NOT an instance of detonation.

Last edited by BrentD; 06/06/16 08:28 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]