June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
7 members (Sun Dog, KY Jon, bushveld, azgreg, Kip, 1 invisible), 394 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,615
Posts547,011
Members14,427
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#446328 06/07/16 09:37 PM
Nero Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi BrentD,
thanks for putting the photo up on your post.
Brought home to me I really should get myself a pair of those glasses that saved your eyes.
I wonder if I can get some advice here?
I have been online to look at those glasses you mentioned and think the wrap around Randolph Edge Ranger ones are the ones for me to go for but they all seem to be tinted where as I was thinking of plain.
I also wonder if others like Beretta and other name brands at a third of the price are as good.
I only shoot rifles and except for two, my rifles have scopes on the them.
Had the Cataract in my shooting eye done a year or so ago and now do not need prescription glasses except for reading.
Regards.

Last edited by Nero; 06/07/16 09:49 PM.
Nero #446329 06/07/16 09:44 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nero, I bought mine from a dealer that Randolph recommended, Morgan Optical. You can find them here http://www.morganoptical.net/

If you want untinted lenses you will see them on their website right here http://www.morganoptical.net/lens_color Just scroll down towards the bottom for the clear ones. I opted for the Light HD version with some dioptors bifocals so I can read my vernier sights better up close. Adding the bifocals costs a lot more money than just getting the plain lenses (colored or not) and then using the $20 stick-on bifocal lenses that you can buy from many places. They work great too, but I wanted permanent this time.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nero Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks,
as you were writing your reply I edited my post to include the question about other brands.

Nero #446332 06/07/16 10:02 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Decot makes a good glass I think. Key in my mind is that the stay fairly close to your face. This may make them fog up a bit more easily, but I've not had that problem with the Ranger/Edge glasses. By being close to the face, it is less likely that gases will blow under or behind them. I think these are a bit closer than the Decots but I could be wrong. I've not studied the Decots really closely.

You can also specify longer or shorter bows. I like the wrap-around temples, but if the bows are too short, the temples will hurt after a while, so I ordered longer ones and have been perfectly happy.

If you call Morgan, the guy that answers the phone will be very patient in explaining options and working with you. They are good people I think.

One more thing, if you get a lens and it is a little too dark or light, they can adjust the darkness for you. Just send them back and tell them you want it a little lighter or whatever.

_________

Nero #446497 06/09/16 06:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wore HiDefSpex glasses for years (they became Pilla), until I lost my set with interchangeable lenses. Best shooting glasses I ever owned, period. A friend gave me a set by Randolph Engineering with three sets of lenses. I tried all three sets, and every one of them have terrible distortion. You can look at trees and move your head very slowly to one side or the other and the limbs on the trees actually move around. Terrible lenses. I gave them away Tuesday. I'll do without until the GA State Sporting clays shoot in a couple weeks where I will buy me another set of Pillas.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Nero #446517 06/09/16 10:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did the Randolph glasses have a perscription ground in them? Esp. a gradient prescription?

Mine do not do what you describe and I have them both w/ and w/o prescriptions. I love them. Which is why I wear them. Which is why I can see the screen right now.

_________

Nero #446608 06/11/16 06:18 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

No, they do not have prescription ground lenses. They are just the regular, off the shelf set. I was really surprised at the distortion.

Another reason I like the Pillas so much is that they have what I believe is the most effective orange enhancing lens coating there is. I have looked through others and they all enhance the orange spectrum somewhat, but the Pillas make a clay target coming through the trees look like a ball of fire. Much easier for me to keep my aging eyes locked on it.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Nero #447848 06/21/16 07:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Both Oakley and Wiley have ballistic eyewear that looks good and will save your eyes from fragmentation etc.

I have seen the protective results on the faces of gunners on top of HUMMVs got by IED spray; their faces chewed up like red freckles and in one case burger; their eyes clean and safely protected. Failure to wear eye-protection outside the wire was a Field Grade Article 15. Wileys and Oakley ballistic eyepro works well.

Get the stuff that meets or exceed government standards for safety including the MIL-PRF-32432(GL) Ballistic Standards, ANSI Z87.1-2010 High Velocity and Mass Impact Standards, EN 166 B Resistance to High Speed Particles, and US Federal OSHA 1910.133(b)(1)(i) Standards

You can get them in amber, red, and orange lens

Last edited by old colonel; 06/21/16 07:25 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Nero #448114 06/23/16 02:39 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

OC do you have any specific recommendations from Oakley or Wiley that work well for Plains hunting?

1cdog #448377 06/25/16 12:57 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The chief advantage I find with shooting glasses, other than eye protection, which could just as easily be covered by regular safety glasses, is that the frames and lenses extend above the eye, so that the frame does not interfere with vision when shooting in the sitting or prone positions, where the eye is directed through the top of the lenses.

Of course this leads to fogging problems, but as a long time high power rifle shooter, on ranges which offer no protection from the sun, I find that putting a foam ear plug in the metal ring above the nose piece of the frame is effective. Bearing against the forehead, this holds the from far enough away from the brow to prevent fogging.

I also wore a head band, but it chiefly came into play in situations where I was firing slow fire stages, twenty shots in twenty minutes, clad in a sweat shirt and a heavy leather shooting jacket, Nothing I encountered in Africa was nearly as hot as the ranges at Quantico, Fort Benning, Fort Campbell of Fort Knox.

In Africa, just wearing my prescription RayBans was all I needed in the way of protection. Incidentally, I am still using
the pair I bought at the PX in Okinawa in 1965.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.