September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (j7l2, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,900
Posts550,587
Members14,458
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Correctomundo!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I paid around a 100 bucks for mine back in 84, I think it was 84, still going strong, still taking game. Thousands of rounds through it and never a problem with it.

Fancy, no way. Ugly, yes. A farm implement, I guess that's just another way of saying, 'old barn gun.' smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I became interested in collecting sxs guns, my 1st purchase was an "A" grade (Ithaca) Lefever 20ga model 5 from the old Cape Outfitters. Still one of my favorites...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Its a hunting gun. A few shells through it while hunting or maybe a hundred rounds through it on a Saturday during practice backyard trap. Will it hold up if it ever gets 'Pushed' by running hundreds of rounds through it each week in a competitive environment? My opinion is, no, it won't.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those who shoot in competition more likely are into Krieghoff or Perrazi , or other fine double guns in that quality sphere. The Nitro Special was a "Durable double", according to a West Coast gun dealer named Phil Baekeart (sic) in the early 1940's- Not Alex Kerr from his Beverly Hills domain however- Hardware store shotguns also included both the great Model 97 and the even greater Model 12 Winchesters- there you go!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, but there are many levels of competition with the top levels requiring a shotgun that is built as good or as expensive as a Perazzi or a Krieghoff. But would you take those 2 out in the woods for a day through the thick brush or deep snow?

So there has to be a mid point or middle ground or range between a pure hunting gun and a pure competition gun. Does the Nitro Special meet that mid point or fall within that range? I would say no, it doesn't. It has to be kept strictly within the purpose for which it was built, an inexpensive hunting gun.

To simply say, "I use it and it never fails" doesn't really say much unless that statement is followed up with the question, "How hard do you use it."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gratuitous Father's Day Nitro Special Picture!

My high condition 16, 1937 production, marked 2 3/4" chambers. 26" tubes, choked cylinder and modified. Capped pistol grip and original buttplate. I owned a Western Arms 12 that was in about the same condition, but, it had a single trigger, which, I refused to wrap my head around. Some poor, depression era soul paid $5 for that trigger.
A co-worker had to have that gun. Another friend says he has to have this one, but, he seems to have forgotten about it. I'm OK with that.
The barrels of the Nitro had fuzzy rust on them when I bought it-our own ken61 reblued them, and did not go to 600, or, whatever, grit, keeping the job in line with what would have been applied to a Nitro back in the day.
A pleasant enough reminder that for some people it was just about the hunt, and not how much you spent to do it, and, that there was a day when you could walk into just about any hardware store, and walk out with a gun that would serve you well enough for the rest of your life for less than a months wages.
Bet it is nicer than ed's. Bet I want less for it, too.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is in great shape Ted!! I take it that with all your Darnes lining up to go hunting this one won't see much action.

But, who can blame you. smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not hunted it. Shot a pitiful round of skeet with it (single digit temps with gusty winds, should have stayed home) and brought it along to the Sweet 16 shoot in St Paul, MN, where, exhibiting fine shooting sense, I started with my Ithaca 37 16 gauge, and ended with the Nitro-the way the course was layed out, I would have done better with the Nitro to start, and finishing up with the 37.

Hey, it ain't easy being me.

Friend who is supposed to buy it used it on a little pheasant trip we took, but, birds were not to be found. No shots fired that day.

If I keep it, I'll use it.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.