June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (R Reynolds, Jtplumb, SamW, susjwp, Licensed to kill, SKB), 536 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,494
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

A friend of mine picked up a couple of leather leg-o-mutton cases he'd like to sell. (Not to me; I already have one and don't need another). One is marked Frinchillucci Roma, and the other looks like an old Boyt. Both are in very good to excellent condition and haven't been used much.

What's a reasonable price range for these things? Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall seeing a table of these at either the Chantilly or Greensboro shows with prices ranging from $100- $250 depending on condition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I find them on e-bay all the time and they almost always end up going for $75.00. Not sure why that's the magic number.

Personally, I'm in need of two of them, but I'm not sure how I'd pay for them at the current time.

Vintage and Double Gun Loony
Sidelock
Sidelock

I may be interested in the Boyt. Do you know what size bbls it is for?

Do you have any pics of it? If you do, please email them to the address below.

Thanks

OWD
hfn_03570@yahoo.com

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

What about one thats for a two barrel set? I'd rate case over 90%...........but don't know what to price it at.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do an ebay search for sold leg o mutton cases. They go for 40-about 100 depending on the condition. I have followed them for well over a year. RCC

R. Craig Clark
jakearoo(at)cox.net

I buy and sell and refurbish them all the time. In decent condition (e.g., no broken straps or hinges; no blown-out lid or nosecap seams, with carrying strap intact, $75 is a good price. Value is almost totally dependent on the condition of the leather overall. If it is too dried out to hold a stitch, you can't do anything with it because it will disintegrate in your hands as you try to work it. The classic faults with used LOMs are broken straps and lid and nosecap seam stitching gone, but probably the worst is the loops that secure the handle to the case. If the case has a sewn-in barrel tray, there is no way to get your hand inside the case to do the proper backstitching to sew the loops through the case as originally constructed. All of these things were crafted in stages, with sequences done in order of assembly. So when you try to repair something like a sewn-in barrel tray case handle, you essentially have to disassemble the sequence, which is never worth it time and labor-wise. The best LOM I ever saw someone had at the Vegas Winter Show a few years ago; it was a top-of-the-line Red Head case that had never been used. It had something I've never seen before or since, a heavy canvas outer cover like you see on the best trunk cases. Asking price was $275 if I remember correctly and if I knew then what I know now......... Don't be afraid to spend up for a minty case in excellent condition - the lowest-priced cases currently manufactured start at around $350 and the custom-made jobs by Robert Cochrane and others at about $550. They are definitely a classy way to carry a fine SxS or O/U. KBM

I have a LOM which originally held my Specialty Grade Elsie. I am the second owner of this gun and I belive the case to be original It is in need of restoration and is of the heavy leather variety. Would I be throwing money in a hole to have this work done by a professional, or would it be a good investment?

Regards,
Charles

Teach a child to hunt, but first teach them to be safe....safe hunting cements fond memories.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ortolan, you can repair the handle straps (loops) without taking a case apart. Make a long "needle" out of a coat hanger--probably about 12" long. Flatten one end and drill a small hole in it for the eye. Now when you've got a stitching loop in the inside just poke the new needle through it. To hold that taut while you're tightening the loop I've made another gadget from a coathanger. It has a small "U" bent on the front of it. I hook the thread with it and am able to then tighten everything. I think these directions are clear as mud as I read over them. But hopefully you'll get the idea and will be able to work through it. Oh, it really helps to have the bottom cap off while you do this.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Over the years I have picked up many cases off Ebay. Most, if not all of them, are in far worst shape when you get them than they look like in the pictures. I have way too many hobbies to try leather repairs as a side line. But after a few cold beers I figured out that one of the local Amish farmers could direct me to someone who might be good at this type of repair. One did and I had seven cases repaired for less than $150.00. Each case had some minor to major flaw that needed to be fixed. Now all my leather repairs go to one of the Amish tack repairs shops. They do first class work, are fast and reliable. In fact I try to give these type fellows as much business as I can. Craftsmanship is always to be admired and supported.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.