September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Birdog), 213 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,884
Posts550,433
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I paid an even thousand for my Sterlingworth ejector 20-28" barrels M&F, DT 1933 Utica gun in 95% condition- I bought it 7 years ago, saving it for doves mainly. It does have 2&3/4" chambers, unlike my buddy's 20 Sterly- 26" DT extractor Phila gun made in 1916- he uses RST 2.5" shells in it, don't know the chokes, but he sure kills grouse and woodcock with it. You couldn't write him a big enough check to get it away from him. I very much agree with the late Mike McIntosh on the quality and cachet of the A.H. Fox shotguns..

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Bill Hadfield at Robin Hollow? He and Kevin Kelley, Steve Barrett and Tony Galazan all have uber high prices- and must operate on the "Greater fool will buy it at my pricing" some day- theory. Not the best way to steadily gain a market share in the used gun biz, IMO. I way prefer dealing with Kirby Hoyt in WA- he is realistic and open to reasonable offers on guns he owns- and will gladly convey your offer to his consignor, if needed. He also does not charge any Veteran the shipping costs on the guns he sells-- I am not aware of any other dealer who does that.

It all depends on who your clientele is. If one lives in real world and works for a living Kirby Hoyt of WA is one of the great places to go and buy a vintage shotgun. Some places are only for those that have others make money for them or earned it the best way possible ie inherited it from their dad (this is what southerners often refer to as Ole' Money).

Sidelock
Sidelock

The big prices advertised by the mentioned dealers are used to attract trades more than cash customers. A dealer who puts a big price on a gun can be overly generous when allowing a customer a trade situation.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
The big prices advertised by the mentioned dealers are used to attract trades more than cash customers. A dealer who puts a big price on a gun can be overly generous when allowing a customer a trade situation.

Sure it works well if one has certain type of buying clients. Offering higher prices for bought guns and on consignment pieces assures good and interesting inventory. I heard "Marie Antoinette Boutiques" like: Cartier, Gucci, Tiffany & Co. .....are doing real well just like Dollar Trees, Dollar General,.....on the opposite side of spectrum.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sometimes, Bill- but not always. Years ago, when I turned down an offer from a Trap shooting pal on my 1948 era m12 Pigeon Grade Trap gun, he found one at Felix Bedlan's in Nebraska. Bedlan was one of the dealers mentioned in Dave Riffle's book on the Model 12 Winchester, by the by--

Long story short- Bedlan wanted over $3000 for his M12 Pigeon grade-and offered by friend $450 on trade for his Browning Belgium mfg. Broadway rib O/U trap gun-- Caveat emptor.

In your reply on the 'dove gun thread" when you mentioned using your HE Fox with pigeon loads 30" barrels for the "coo-coo-birdies come Sept. you also, I believe, hinted at a possible future estate sale of some of your guns and amoo- if so, and you want a local "very deep pocketed" neighbor (sort of) he and my sister Gretchen live in Germantown MD--and he has a King's ransom of BA (mainly G&H Mauser actions, and some double express rifles as well) in owning and shooting some top shelf side-by-sides. Like me (my pockets are shallow, however) he does not like the auction two-step route, so if you were considering turning your investment grade guns over to, say, James Julia, he most likely, would pass. He has a Binelli 12 auto-loader at present- and like me, not a big SC shooter, but that could change. So, put out the word when you are ready, and I will so advise him. And good luck with your back problems in the up and coming hunting venues- Fox with the runs--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Sure it works well if one has certain type of buying clients. Offering higher prices for bought guns and on consignment pieces assures good and interesting inventory. I heard "Marie Antoinette Boutiques" like: Cartier, Gucci, Tiffany & Co. .....are doing real well just like Dollar Trees, Dollar General,.....on the opposite side of spectrum.

How would you know Jag? You don't even own a double shotgun. Your only shotgun is an Ithaca Model 37 pump with a short barrel. Do you rent that one too, as you do with your .22 rifle and handguns? Dollar Tree and Dollar General must seem like pretty classy joints when you do most of your shopping at the Rent-A-Center.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: James M
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Ithaca 1 that's old Mikee J again. He seems to consign a lot of stuff I am intersted in, but his pricing is hopeful to say the least. He will deal, but I think he is limited by what his consignors demand some times...Geo

Does anyone on here actually know this guy(Mikee)? I remember a guy who used the name "Sly" that used to try and sell mediocre guns with stratosphere prices and his ads would be on Gunbroker forever. Haven't seen his ads in awhile.
Jim

SLY (his real initials), was a guy in the commercial truck sales business in Springfield, MO on West Chestnut Street just down from the old Westley Richards Agency. He was in and out of WR so often that he had an inside track on when shipments of doubles would come in from Birmingham. Often there were a bunch of beaters in the shipment that were not up to the standards of most of WR's customers. SLY would deal by bundling a bunch of those guns, maybe paying an average of $4-700 or so a piece. He would clean them up a bit and pedal them at incredibly high prices on the gun sites. I went over to his place one time to look at an absolutely gorgeous little Jeffrey with amazing engraving......but it had a ring bulge near one of the muzzles and I eventually passed even though SLY let me shoot it and keep it in my safe for a month or so. So in spite of his high prices, rumored online high jinx and maybe borderline guns, I though he was basically a good guy. Even though he tried to learn all he could from Bob Francis, The Lord of Chestnut Hall, I don't think he was a very good student and many things about the British gun trade just never registered with him. He never forced anyone to buy his wares though. His business is now gone and I've lost track of him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob:

Back then the $450 sounds about right. For a dealer now, they are still a very hard gun to sell.

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Probably right John. Likely just some memory skewed by recent prices.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of my favorites is Lewis drake. He seems to deal in extreme high end pieces exclusively.

Owen
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.