June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
6 members (HistoricBore, eightbore, SKB, Argo44, 2 invisible), 239 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,630
Posts547,171
Members14,431
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

With the current political situation should I do something I have not wanted to do, and put off doing in buying me a AR 15 or maybe two along with some 30 round mags?
It means putting off the purchase of a Garbi 28 gauge along with a 410 to accomplish this.
I have said for a long time that I need to purchase one or more but I really don't think I will be using it that much. So I stayed on course buying and builing my collections in the side by sides.
The last thing I want is to wake up one day and this country be in absolute melt down and have no way to protect my family.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you need a ar15 to protect your family you are all screwed. Protection, in a close quarters situation, is handled very well with a 12 ga. shotgun. Unless you are repelling a zombie attack an ar15 does not improve your chances. So buy what you want unless you foresee a zombie outbreak.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're going to use it for something like 3 gun, competitive plate shooting, and long range target shooting, go with the AR 15. If you're worried about the collapse of civilization and the rise of anarchy, you should consider an AK 47. Thinking down the road, in a post apacolyotic world it is likely that gun cleaning and materials for firearm maintenance will be scarce and likely to be controlled by the local warlord or feudal authority. The AK 47 will really shine in that environment as you could clean it with sand, mud or raw sewage and it would still fire every time you pull the trigger.

An Israeli Galil would be a good option as well, but parts would be more scarce.

Last edited by nca225; 08/05/16 10:22 AM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

When experiencing a meltdown situation, you want to be able to replenish your ammo supply by taking it away from an aggressor. Will that aggressor be a Russian soldier with an AK-47 or an American soldier or policeman with an AR-15? Right now, we're kind of in the middle. Your chance of using more than a few hundred rounds before being eliminated is very slim.

Sidelock
Sidelock

.223 is actually fairly anemic. .308 would be the far-better option for old guys who don't run and gun well. In a dystopic future, it's pretty hard to predict what you'll need. Medical supplies might be nice to have. Food.....not fun to contemplate.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/05/16 11:35 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've heard that a .308 is better to protect yourself from someone who is shooting at you from behind something, a more likely situation.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is craziness. Buy the sxs. Go to the movies if you want to experience dystopia, apocalypse, or zombies because it won't happen in real life...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO: ANY good high power rifle or shotgun would serve the purpose of providing personal defense if what you're concerned with is your immediate family and household. You should have an adequate supply of ammunition on hand and Id recommend a supply of critical spare parts.
Beyond this point it would depend upon the situation.

IMO and I want to stress this is just my opinion; there are going to be "Issues" no matter who wins in November. What form these will take and the extent is anyone's guess at this time.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok the end of the world and zombie attack aside is your real question is should you buy it before buying it becomes impossible. Perhaps. But what is to prevent an executive order from being made to outlaw position of high capacity clips or even the Ar15? This is why the continued executive orders being accepted as law is so dangerous to me. And God help us if the Supreme Court ever decides that they carry the same weight as legislation passed and signed into law.

Direct rule by the President scares me much more than zombies, economic meltdown or any other potential natural disaster. You have about 150-175 million people living in cities and surrounding areas who could not feed and support themselves for more than two weeks without massive help. Unlike during the Great Depression when a strong majority of the population lived in rural areas and could to a large extent feed themselves today we can not. So one Ar15 more or less will make little difference.

So it comes down to how important is an Ar15 to you and what you think the chances are that it will be declared illegal by executive order and will you comply. If it is just an itch to own it I would pass. If you are concerned about protecting your family buy it and spit in their eye later if needed.

Boxlock
Boxlock

There are literally dozens of choices. Range determines a lot. Close up a 9mm carbine will suffice. Further out, not so much. Semi-autos are not the only quick repeater. The old 94 Winchester can hold its own through one tube full.

I hate to even think about this but it is now in our face. Regardless of what anyone tells you, a 4473 is and audit trail.

Dave

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.