October
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (eeb, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,954
Posts551,174
Members14,462
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 21 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 20 21
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2
I can tell you this, if I had another job when the renewal came under Clinton and selling only 10-12 guns a year, I would not have renewed.

It would not have been worth it.

John Boyd

Of course it wouldn't have been worth it, John. That is the point. Whether by regulatory fee or rules, to drive out people from being involved. To make it more difficult. Just like non tox, just like the onerous and vague "safe storage" laws up here. Just like with every rule and regulation that gets imposed.

It's your business so I'm not suggesting you should do something different than whatever you have done to comply. And I get why having a bunch of low overhead competitors out of the industry is a benefit to you. But don't kid yourself about what the purpose is and where it's going.

Doubles may be last on the list but they are on the list!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, we have stocking FFL's right now who have the same over-priced guns in their inventory for years. In fact, there is a current thread running right now highlighting some of them. That still doesn't allow or excuse the government to force them out of business or make a judgement call about how serious they are about making a profit. Automobiles are regulated too, but you don't see any arm of the government forcing dealers out of business just because they don't move sufficient inventory. But then, no one is working hard to ban cars.

The experiences of craigd's gun club were quite common. You do not know the circumstances behind nearly 200,000 FFL's being forced to give up their license, but you certainly are making justifications to defend those actions whether you care to admit it or not.

The IRS certainly can and does go after folks who neglect to report small gains or earned income. I myself have gotten hit with nasty-grams from the IRS because I neglected to report very small 1099DIV gains that came in the mail after I had already filed my return. I have also received 1099's that reported interest or dividends amounts lower than the postage required to mail them to me... because the IRS absolutely does care about little things.

I never claimed that the "grafts" (sic) I put up explained why nearly 200,000 FFL's were forced out of business during the Clinton years. I made the mistake of thinking that was pretty much common knowledge to anyone who was interested enough to follow the frequent assaults on our rights by the Liberal Left Democrats. But as the Fudds's frequently demonstrate, many simply do not care until they personally are affected.

I note with satisfaction that you chose to ignore the recent actions by Obama that are intended to force non-dealers who sell only a few guns to become licensed FFL's. No-one, including you or Obama, can say that some guy who is reducing his collection or selling off a few guns that belonged to his deceased Dad is trying to "make a business of it." But the anti-gunners are now obviously considering such activities as being "actively engaged."

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
As the anecdotal evidence illustrates, when the government doesn't want you to have guns, they will use every regulatory means available to effect change. Those who think "don't worry, these changes won't affect me and my little end of the hobby" make a grave error.

Every change needs to be fought against hard. Every legal change and every regulatory change. Because it's not ending until private gun ownership is outlawed. And rolling back a "concession" is especially difficult.

Moses had it right a few posts back.

I couldn't agree more. The latest anti-gun barrage from the Government regulating what constitutes "gun smithing" will IMO be used to the fullest extent of its vagueness. And I can just about guarantee it will be used if the democrats regain Federal power.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I do know why many gave up their licenses.

As I mention before I had various friends that had ffls for many years.

When things changed under Clinton where they had to get finger printed, submitted pictures of themselves, have a sale tax permit, notified the chief law enforcement office where they reside that they were conducting a firearms business, they decided that they did not want to do that, so they gave it up.

I know they also conducted a personal interview and inspection before they would renew a license. I remember mine.

They did not want additional government intervention in their lives.

I did not like it either, but I had to follow the new rules too.

John

Last edited by arrieta2; 08/09/16 01:56 PM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith: I too have got the letters on the 1099s. They use a matching program on this. They only send you a letter asking why the difference. They do not send someone out to find you, say they are going to put you in jail, put liens on your property etc.

I do not think I would call this " go after you" as you stated
All they want is verification.

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

John, no one is on you for following the rules. We would if we were in your position.

It is for excusing the government for its interference in a business as a way to force people to give up their guns. It is for not understanding that this is a process that the antis hope will end with the disarming of the citizens. It is for suggesting by inference that it is just typical government red tape. As Keith so accurately notes, they aren't driving low volume auto dealers out of the business as a matter of policy.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

There are always new rules, and regulations to abide by.

After 20 years at the locations I am at now I just had to go through firewarden training. I had to get certified, new regs.
Did I like to have to do it, no. But I was required to do it, so I had to comply or get a $500 fine.

Not saying all are fair, just or etc.I had to make changes to make government folks happy. Many did not make sense, but had to do it

John

Last edited by arrieta2; 08/09/16 02:58 PM.

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: arrieta2
I can tell you this, if I had another job when the renewal came under Clinton and selling only 10-12 guns a year, I would not have renewed.

It would not have been worth it.

John Boyd

Which is exactly why I didn't, they priced me out of the "game". Which, I still believe, was a backhanded way of getting rid of a lot of "us". Why should it matter to the government how many guns a year someone sells? If there are no stipulations on the application that a minimum number must be sold to be a valid FFL holder, they should not even care. Volume dealers should be very careful when decrying little home businesses' competition. A big box store may just may move into their little neck of the woods and put them out of business. Who will be crying UNFAIR! then?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan:

On renewing a license they ask how many guns you have sold in the last 3 years

John

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
Sidelock
Sidelock

They never did ask me that, and I renewed two or three times before dropping it. They didn't even care. One agent came to the soybean field and got me off the combine to go and look over my records when I decided not to renew once, prior to Clinton. He actually talked me into renewing the thing, telling me it was a lot easier than having to submit all my records when I quit. So I did. I may have sold one gun in the previous year.

I really do not believe selling a single gun can be a requirement for renewing a FFL. How about the other businesses, besides those in retail gun sales, who have to have a FFL to operate?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 12 of 21 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 20 21

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.