September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (JulesW, ArtLavely, Argo44, 12boreman, 1 invisible), 472 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,934
Posts550,858
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

James:

Look for an earlier post here about Heus-Riga Fils barrels where Dr. Drew and I bantered back and forth about relative barrel strengths between damascus-types and both early and later fluid steels. Dr. Drew is understandably hesitant to endorse any type of table where the different types of barrel materials were compared as to their tensile or "burst" strengths, but there is a minor summary proposed (by me). That summary assumes, of course, that the barrels in question are at or near factory specification. Any damage or other structural issues (pitting, thinning, etc.) would and should alter any evaluation as to relative strength. That thread would give you a good place to start from in your own education about the relative "robustness" (for lack of a better term) of the different types of weapons being built during your gun's period of manufacture. LC Smiths are a tradition in my family, going well-past my Grandfather's generation so I do have some familiarity.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 08/11/16 08:09 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of the confusion is that we differ in opinions on what is safe for Smiths from two different perspectives. One is the barrel and action maximum pressure in psi. And most solid Smiths should handle load to X,XXX to XX,XXX psi. It is peak pressure not pressure over time or distance. Most pressure peaks are within one inch of the chamber I am told so a 8K load is worst there and maybe 4K are the muzzle where the barrels are thinner.

The second is the pressure, that is safe for the stocks and that is where some people get things confused. It is not the pressure but the recoil that is the problem. For some reason people think recoil is directly related to pressure it is not. It is forces, over time, not pressure in a hoop strain situation. How fast is the load, how heavy is the load and the burning curve for it? That is why I shoot mostly lighter, lower velocity, slower burning powders to get less pressure loads to reduce the risk of cracks in the stocks. Most are one ounce, at 1150 fps with pressures from 5-7K.

For a steel barreled gun, in moderate use, I would feel comfortable with your 7/8 ounce load but the full ounce would seems too high for me. Again it is not as much a question of the action and barrel limit but the stock cracking limit. And one ounce recoil should still be less stress than heavier lead loads but I choose to go lighter in deference to the stock cracking issues.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.