Originally Posted By: GLS
If the officer asks for permission to search, I would object. it is an intrusion and not a courtesy of him to ask and I would be respectful in replying. By then, he's made up his mind to ticket if he wants to search. Often the traffic stop is a pretextual to search and you are going to get a ticket regardless. It supports the pretext or reason he stopped. And yes, it's the principle. As for "if you have nothing to hide, why not consent." Stop thinking like a cop who wants to search someone's car. wink
Trooper Benji was in the papers often back in the Operation Pipeline days. I'd heard that a contract was placed on his head by the drug lords back in the day.

If I were a cop I would have to have a good reason for searching your car. Not PC, but a good reason. I wouldn't waste my time and yours by searching vehicles at random.

But if you said "No," I'd thank you and walk away. I did this for a long time and know when it's time to walk away, but in all honesty, I might remember your face and tag number. smile

I believe in getting along, which is why I'd say "OK." And if I as a cop searched your car with your consent and found nothing, I'd also remember your face and tag number. But in a good context.

Last edited by Genelang; 09/10/16 08:01 PM.