Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an exceptionally nice condition nice shooting 16ga Fulton with modern demensions. I picked it up for a song years ago because the barrels had been cut back to 26". Now a cylinder bore 16 is not a detriment when hunting woodcock and grouse and at less than $150 it still seemed like a good deal. The bluing, wood and cc is exceptional and I doubt screw in chokes would hurt it's value. I noticed Briley doesn't do 16ga guns. Is there someone any of you would recommend for such work?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny....not that I'd recommend it, but I had Briley install thinwalls in a 16ga SxS about 6 years ago.

No matter who does it, a set of screw-ins will cost you more than you paid for the gun.

If I were in your position, I'd pursue jug choking first, especially if I were looking for < .010 max. For strictly WC/grouse you might want to leave the first Cyl and just work on the second. If I wanted more choke than that, I'd pursue soldered-in choke sleeves adjusted to pretty much anything I wanted. In any event, I'd get the barrels into Mike Orlen's hands and let him advise me which way to go.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Colonial Arms does 16g tube installation http://www.colonialarms.com/index.html
but I'm with Mike. Likely plenty of wall thickness for a 'jug' choke.
Here's Orlen's contact infro:
Michael R. Orlen
79 Salem Street
Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 256-1630
michael.orlen@verizon.net
ttp://members.aol.com/sgunbore/brochure.gif

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think Mike Orlen lists a soldered choke sleeve for $75. That'd be my choice.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the info. I agree choke tubes will probably be cost prohibitive, I also agree that for a woodcock and grouse gun a cylinder bore in the left barrel is no handicap. So a jug choke in the left barrel or a soldered choke sleeve. I had not heard of the latter, how do the hold up? I am thinking IC in the left barrel. It is a shame someone cut the barrels because the gun is so "right there" when I throw it up to my shoulder.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I sent a Fox to Briley for screw in chokes. They called and said the barrels were too thin for screw ins. Instead, they thread the barrel internally with very shallow threads and loc tite in a threaded sleeve (permanent). My gun also had cut barrels. They installed the permanent tube (imp. modified) in the left barrel, so I now have cyl & imp mod. I'm very happy with the job and the gun shoots great.

LCSMITH

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.