As I recall the 20ga was originally loaded with 3/4oz. It was later upped to 7/8oz & then with the introduction of slower powders the express load of 1 oz. When Winchester re-introduced the 3" 20, but now in the form of a Magnum the load was 1 3/16oz which quickly went to 1Ľoz. According to Jack O'Connor the mod 21 which introduced this Magnum loading of the 3" 20 weighed 7lbs. My thoughts then, as well as now, was if I am going to carry a 7lb gun why should it not be a 12.
My reasoning is similar on the small bores, I have no qualms with anyone using whatever floats their boat, but they are simply not my choices. One thing I will not cede to anyone is that using inferior equipment makes one a better "Sportsman". I enjoy muzzleloader shooting. I have killed both quail & rabbit with an I Hollis 12ga caplock double.
That did not automatically make me a better sportsman than someone else using an 1100 Rem semi auto. Sportsmanship is in ones mind set, not their equipment.
All down through the years I have had both limited time & finances to apply to my desire for hunting. I have always thus desired to make the best possible choice of a gun within my affordability for the game sought. This has primarily fallen with in the 12-20 range & I apologize to no one for my choices. They suit me & my abilities well.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra