September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
13 members (bbman3, dirty harry, Birdog, buckstix, 3 invisible), 236 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,938
Posts550,915
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe Wood,
I don't have an autoloader, but your remark about them needing High Pressure loads to function seems off.
Surely it is recoil that keeps them cycling...& you can get loads moving smartly enough to cycle , that are not that high in psi if you look for them?
Of course I am talking reloads
Just asking, n no harm meant my friend
Cheers
Franc

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: CitoriFeather16
Originally Posted By: gjw
Originally Posted By: Joe Wood
I always use 2 3/4" hulls in my short chambered guns. And after literally tens of thousands of rounds I can report I still have all my fingers. All scientifically controlled tests I have seen regarding this issue concluded no significant increase in chamber pressure using the longer hull. If you're interested, call the Double Gun Journal and ask for a copy of the issue containing Sherman Bell's report on using long hulls in short chambers.

It is chamber pressure that is important, not hull length. If short and long hulls give about the same chamber pressure in a short chamber then I consider both to be safe to shoot. It's interesting to note that long after 2 3/4" ammunition became standard most American gun manufacturers continued to cut their chambers 2 5/8" but recommended using the longer 2 3/4" hull.

+1, Joe is right on the money with this one. The catch is, you almost have to reload, I've not seen any data on commercial 2 3/4" ammo that is low pressure. The only one is RST 2 3/4" which they told me is around 7500psi IIRC (you can call them to get the exact pressure). My reloads are 5900psi and have worked just fine in my 2 1/2" guns and they kill birds just fine. In fact I had my J. Harkom hammergun (circa 1890) out yesterday

I also use these reloads in my Nitro Proofed Damascus guns, no problems there either.

Good Luck!

Greg

Greg, Beautiful Harkom! 5,900 psi is LOW. I'm assuming that's a 12ga? The RST 16ga. 2 1/2", 1 oz "Lite" loads are 7,000 psi at 1,200 fps.

Matt

Thanks Matt for the kind words. Shes a fun gun to shoot and yep it's a 12b gun. I've used this load in cold weather and never had a blooper or mis-fire. I like it!

Thanks again!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

In SSM July/Aug 2016, on pg 64, a well known ballistics expert says that it is chamber pressure that controls cold weather ignition consistency.
6200 is too low for reliability.

Out there doing it best I can.
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
In SSM July/Aug 2016, on pg 64, a well known ballistics expert says that it is chamber pressure that controls cold weather ignition consistency.

Could be, all I know is the load I use has been thru 2 ND winters with no problems. One thing that someone suggested is to put disposable hand warmers with your shells and rotate shells between them and the ones in your gun. This will keep the shells fairly warm to avoid any problems. Good idea, but to be honest I never used this method, does make sense.

BTW, my loads have been tested by Tom Armburst and do come in around 5900psi.

Best,

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a number of black powder era doubles and a few early smokeless with short chambers with forcing cones designed for paper wads. I cut plastic hulls down to 2-1/2" and load black powder or BlackMZ for those that are black powder guns and light loads of Red Dot for smokeless era guns. Shot load is 7/8 or 1 oz. I use plastic wads and roll crimp. As I can reload, I can make the loads work for the gun. I really don't need heavy loads anyway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Couple of comments here.
1st; Recoil controls the operation of a recoil operated semi-auto such as the old Browning A-5. Most modern day semi-autos are gas operated & recoil has virtually nothing to do with their operation, it's the gas pressure.
2nd; Be certain when you load a longer shell into the chamber that its loaded length does not exceed the chamber length. Its fine if a bit of the unfolding crimp reaches up into the forcing cone. It is "Not Fine" if the crimped end of the shell is actually forced into the cone. This increases the resistance to the crimp opening which can raise pressures excessively. This is most times not a problem but could occur if loading a roll crimped 2 3/4" shell into a "True" 2˝" chamber.
Most short chambered American guns had 2 5/8" chambers. Most British ones will be found to measure from 2 916 to 2/58 in spite of the nominal 2˝" classification. Most European ones had 65mm or about 2 9/16" chambers.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: gjw
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper

Could be, all I know is the load I use has been thru 2 ND winters with no problems. One thing that someone suggested is to put disposable hand warmers with your shells and rotate shells between them and the ones in your gun. This will keep the shells fairly warm to avoid any problems. Good idea, but to be honest I never used this method, does make sense.

BTW, my loads have been tested by Tom Armburst and do come in around 5900psi.

Best,

Greg

I'd say two Dakota winters is a pretty good test of your 5900 psi load. I use a bismuth load in that neighborhood too, but it's not nearly as cold here, so obviously the Deep South is not a very good test. I'm not complaining. It seems to me that the complaints I have heard on forums about poor ignition in cold weather came from the use of 4625, which is what I currently use. But, there are faster burning powders that can be loaded to give pressures in the 6000 psi range as well. I'm thinking they are not as subject to "blooping".

A snowy duck hunt here (with those low pressure bismuth loads) is the exception, but it sure was fun ............for me, not the ducks.

Last Saturday of season Jan. 2016

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper

2nd; Be certain when you load a longer shell into the chamber that its loaded length does not exceed the chamber length. Its fine if a bit of the unfolding crimp reaches up into the forcing cone. It is "Not Fine" if the crimped end of the shell is actually forced into the cone. This increases the resistance to the crimp opening which can raise pressures excessively.

2-Piper is absolutely correct. As long as the hull mouth opens somewhere in the forcing cone pressure is not a major factor. However, if it is extending into the bore pressures will spike considerably. If the mouth of a fired long hull is torn off or ragged the hull is probably in the bore.

John McCain is my war hero.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Joe said. Left - 65mm Eley 28gm 12g; Right - CompX 65mm 21 gm.

And BTW: 20g 2 3/4" shells
Estate (Federal) 2 5/8"; Fiocchi 2 11/16"; Nobel Sport 2 3/4"; Winchester 2 5/8"; Winchester Universal 2 5/8"; Remington Gun Club 2 11/16"

12g 2 3/4" shells
B&P Competition One 7/8 oz. 2 3/4"; Fiocchi 2 11/16"; Fiocchi 2 3/4"; Federal (and Estate) 2 11/16"; Remington Gun Club 2 3/4"; Winchester 2 3/4"; Herter's (Federal) 2 11/16"

All 2 11/16": Nobel Sport Low Recoil, Remington STS Premier, Remington Nitro, Federal Top Gun, Federal Top Gun

Sidelock
Sidelock

Re: load choice for 2 1/2" chambers, assuming adequate wall thickness

Prior to 1924, the Belgian and British Service (using) maximum load for 12g 2 1/2” and 2 5/8” shells was 1 1/4 oz. / 3 1/4 Dram Eq. (1220 fps). The pressure of that load would have been about 8500 psi with BULK smokeless powder; with DENSE smokeless 9,500 - 10,500 psi.
2 1/2” shells were usually loaded with 1 1/8 oz. shot and 3 Dr. Eq. of BULK Smokeless with a pressure of 6500 - 7500 psi; DENSE Smokeless was 9000 - 10,000 psi.

During WWI the standard English 12g load was dropped by law (to conserve the supplies of lead and powder) to 1 oz. and 3 Dr. Eq. Bulk smokeless. After the War, 2 1/2” shells were generally loaded with 1 1/16 oz. shot and 3 Dr. Eq. Bulk or Dense smokeless powder.

In the 1925 British Proof House revisions, the 2 1/2” & 2 5/8” 12g service load was reduced to 3 Drams with 1 1/8 oz. shot with a mean service pressure of 3 1/4 tons = (converted using Burrard's forumula) 9,682 psi.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.