September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (ithaca1, azgreg, j7l2, steve f, SKB), 376 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,924
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DLH Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Pressure information given to me by RST:

All are 12 bore loads 2.5" case:

Maxi-Lite: 1 oz., 5700 PSI

Falcon Lite: 7/8 oz., 5400 PSI

Ultra Lite: 3/4 oz., 4400 PSI

If you have concerns about RST's other loads and pressure, just email them, they will be quick to respond.

The above are all effective loads, so why worry about 2.75" shells and pressure?

The folks at RST are great, lets give them as much business as possible!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Quote:
Model 12s can break the firing pin and leave the broken point projecting from the bolt, which will cause the gun to fire before lockup is complete, with spectacular results. Does it happen a lot? No, but, more often than it does on any other shucker.

Gospel truth, lad.

Hard to Imagine anything like that could happen on "The Perfect Repeater".

Miller,
One of these days, I'm going to get off my ass and go to my friend Dan's house to take photos of his Grandfather's model 12, that suffered that exact failure way back when, mid 1930s or so, I'm guessing. The gun was repaired by his Grandfather after some parts were mail ordered for it, but, still bears the scars from pellets in the forward receiver and chamber area. Although Grandfather and his hunting partner have long ago met their reward, it was reported that the kaboom was mostly in the duck boat, neither man heard much of anything for a few days, and the round that caused the damage did not contribute to the depression era pile of ducks. In my conversations with both men in the past, that last fact was noted to me several times, leading me to believe economic times were especially tough around Vergas, MN. circa 1935 or so, when and where the incident took place.
One problem I have to prepare myself for when I go to visit Dan is the inevitable fine meal prepared by his cute native Cambodian wife, and all the beer that will be poured down my gullet.This research and documentation is a killer.
Oh, and I should also mention that Dan inherited both of his Grandfather's model 12s, a 12 gauge nickel steel gun, and a 3" heavy duck, but, he purchased for his own use a King's Ferry model 37 with decent wood, 28" barrel, and choke tubes. He has heard the above story more times than me.
I'm not aware of model 37s, or, any other US pumps that have a problem similar to the failure to lock in battery at discharge that rarely happens on model 12 WInchesters.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amen to that- If i could only shoot one brand of shotshells, it would be RST- just as if I could only shoot one make and model of the many repeating shotguns extant, albiet not made since 1964-- It would be a Model 12-- why? Because I kill birds with that combo-consistently. Steel shot waterfowling loads are the exception. I like the Blind Side loads-

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted;
Do note, I was not doubting your word, I fully believed it. As of this date I can't recall meeting a "Pump Gun" I truly liked. My intent on the post was to "Needle" Foxy a bit, looks like it worked.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I got that, Miller. But, I should take the photos, and post them anyway, in the interest of history, and information.

"Needling" Fox is an unexpected side benefit, and were Don Moody still alive, you could get a two for one.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure did- I take my Model 12's as seriously as the late Oscar Levant did George and Ira Gershwin and Steinways. Who (whom) is the late Don Moody? Founder of the Moody Bible College perhaps.

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 10/20/16 05:44 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Could a 870 solve any problems ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes sirree- good enough for Rudy Etchen, that speaks volumes. Just that I grew up in a Winchester-Colt oriented family of males who shot almost year around (weather permitting). Went out this morning for waterfowl on the Flat River-here in West Central MI- took a 1921 mfg. Model 12- 12 gauge of course, 28" full nickel steel "working man's repeater"-- Shot one greenhead- went into town to gas up and have coffee. No way of knowing how many thousands of shells Uncle Herb put through it before he willed it to me 30 years ago. Only part I have replaced in those 30 years was the carrier return piano wire spring- sort of resembles a safety pin w/o the latch-

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Run With The Fox
Sure did- I take my Model 12's as seriously as the late Oscar Levant did George and Ira Gershwin and Steinways. Who (whom) is the late Don Moody? Founder of the Moody Bible College perhaps.

Fox,
Here:

http://www.geojcarroll.com/home/index.cfm?action=public%3Aobituaries.view&o_id=1896397&fh_id=13362

Don was a long time member and contributer here. He bled Winchester red, and never would have said anything bad about ANY Winchester, including the real stinkers.
You would have liked him. Not so sure the reverse would have been true, however.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks- so, no ties to the Moody Bible College, then. The only real "stinkers" I can see in the WRA logbook, over the years, were the Model 11 and the the Model 40 repeating autoloading shotguns. Of course, after the 1964 debacle, all bets were off. RWTF

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.