Thanks for the kind comments, and insights on other parts of the Country.

I have hunted as a guest, of friends/owners I know, on three of the stellar Wild Bird Plantations in the Albany, GA. region. I have had contact ,but no close calls, with Eastern Diamondbacks down there on two occasions. They are a little more lethargic and laid back than our Western diamondbacks.

Out here we can generally count on reasonable periods of hibernation once our freezing weather sets in with some regularity.
I try to start exercising dogs on any cool to slightly cold mornings in November (40*F -30*F) and give it up after the sun comes up and and begins to warm the hillsides.
At those temps , if a dog encounters a rattler , the snake is too stiff and lethargic to be a menace.

February finds the opposite, warm afternoons and south facing slopes invite the reptiles to sun near den openings , ready to seek cover when night falls. I know this ranch well enough to steer away from trouble spots , or confine my late season outings to Mornings only.

I have lived out here most all of my life and I really don't worry about snakes on a personal level , I have killed hundreds in the course of ranch life, but a dog focused on Bird scent, or boldly pursuing a wing tipped bird is susceptible to a life threatening strike , no matter how familiar he or she is at avoiding snakes.

I liken rattlesnakes to Highway Patrolmen, I don't mind them, as long as I know where they are!

By the way, the morning turned out nice, wind subsided shortly after daybreak , and the birds were out feeding widely.

I managed another limit driving the roads, 9 Blues and 6 Bobs, taken between 8:15 and 10:00 am. it was 77*F when I finished.

Joe , I'm glad you got Mike to chauffeur you around , and put you in good position for the easiest shots on every rise.
Man you do Know a GOOD thing when you find it , don't you?