June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (smlekid), 554 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,670
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: John Roberts
It's a dang BSA guys. Nobody cares if the chokes are opened.
JR

But it's a really NICE BSA . . .

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 11/05/16 09:08 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
That gun is a looker. Not many English boxlocks around with 2 3/4" chambers, that high condition, and ejectors.
I'd say just get the bird with the first shot. Failing that, load a spreader in the second tube. You can have your cake and eat it, that way.

Best,
Ted

Ted, most of the Webley & Scott 700 series guns (including 701 and 702) are 2 3/4". All have ejectors. And they are, without doubt, the most commonly encountered Brit sxs in this country. And in terms of price, the 700's are probably similar to a top grade BSA.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't noticed them getting any cheaper, Larry, especially when they approach the condition of this BSA. A lot of the 700s I've seen don't look as nice as this one, either.
We have guys here who wouldn't clean the metal shavings out of a model 21 action if they thought they were original, who will tell you to alter a high condition Brit gun and who should do it for you.
The spreader load is the simplest, cheapest, and easiest solution to whatever the "problem" with this gun might be.
Really, I'd use it for at least a year before I did anything to the chokes. Maybe two years. Once you get out of the forrest, and onto the plains, that is a sweet choke combination. Not a horrible sporting clays combination, but, you will have to do your part.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a nice looking BSA. Probably nicer than most. Ted makes a good argument for shooting it for a bit to see how you will use it before you change anything. If you hand-load or have good access to spreader loads then you certainly have that option. I, however, find that if I have to make too-many special efforts to use a gun, it doesn't get used very often. I appreciate original to the point where I've sold very nice older guns because I didn't feel good about altering them to fit my needs. But...if you're looking for that one good gun, your own "meat-in-the-pot" example, then I'd make it fit your circumstances. With the advent of shot cups in the early 60's, choke arguably became superfluous in 12-bores anyway. I keep a bit of choke in my 12s, but not much and they seem to work just fine without it.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/05/16 01:49 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Today's "gotta have it wand, that just needs some reaming," is tomorrow's trade bait.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
Today's "gotta have it wand, that just needs some reaming," is tomorrow's trade bait.

BINGO!

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

"With the advent of shot cups in the early 60's, choke arguably became superfluous in 12-bores anyway."

You and M. McIntosh ............ but he actually used the term "obsolete" where you said "superfluous". It always makes me smile, how hunters from some parts of the country, mostly grouse and woodcock hunters, think choke is superfluous in a 12 ga. They don't consider turkey hunters, or pigeon shooters, or duck hunters, or goose hunters, or crow shooters, or ....... ad infinitum.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

OK, I tried to stay off this post but can't any longer. I abhor choke tubes and all that goes with that discussion. This is my take and doesn't matter if any agree. My bucket list sporting clays gun happens to have right barrel full choke and left barrel mod or even maybe IM. Any way tight. I started with a big pocket full of spreader loads but have found that when I put the barrels in the correct place, bingo! I am down to only using 5 or 6 spreaders(close rabbits mostly) and enjoying the guns choke configuration.
Bottom line for me is--learn to shoot the gun! Some one wiser then I once said chokes are for inches--lead is for feet.
I am still learning BUT having a great time doing it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
. . . This is my take and doesn't matter if any agree . . .

Regardless of what, if anything, I decide to do with the gun, I'm enjoying the discussion and reading the different points of view. Every viewpoint is appreciated and respected.

BTW, Walter, I truly enjoy your Ithaca 37 book and refer to it often.

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 11/05/16 07:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've always felt that an open choke at distance will hurt you more than a tight choke will at a closer range. Back in my choke tube days,I would often forget to put in the more open choke on close shots, only to do just fine. I find that medium distance breaks are easier to read with the tight chokes.
Karl

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.