May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jeremy Pearce, bigblock, 1 invisible), 312 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,549
Posts546,221
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Measure the chokes and see what you got.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
OK, I tried to stay off this post but can't any longer. I abhor choke tubes and all that goes with that discussion. This is my take and doesn't matter if any agree. My bucket list sporting clays gun happens to have right barrel full choke and left barrel mod or even maybe IM. Any way tight. I started with a big pocket full of spreader loads but have found that when I put the barrels in the correct place, bingo! I am down to only using 5 or 6 spreaders(close rabbits mostly) and enjoying the guns choke configuration.
Bottom line for me is--learn to shoot the gun! Some one wiser then I once said chokes are for inches--lead is for feet.
I am still learning BUT having a great time doing it.

Preach on, brother! SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What is the estimated value of this gun? How much would the value change if the chokes were opened?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: VictoryXC
What is the estimated value of this gun? How much would the value change if the chokes were opened?

Not sure who you're asking but since it's my gun, I'll take a stab at part of your question. Given the overall quality and condition of the gun I would think it should be worth somewhere between $900 to $1,500 to the right buyer*. The gun would be a tough sell, though. It's not a brand that collectors generally seek and it's not the type of gun that would appeal to modern shooters.

There's a very limited market for this gun. I suspect the question isn't really how much would changing the choke lower the value. The question is whether changing the choke would make the gun more or less saleable. Would potential buyers walk away simply because of the choke change? Does changing the choke severely limit its appeal to vintage double gun enthusiasts? Or, given that this is a gun that might appeal to hunters/shooters would a different choke configuration make it MORE marketable?

* If you accept the premise that the value of anything is what buyers are willing to pay then the lack of bidders in the auction I won suggests the value of this gun is quite a bit less.

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 11/06/16 10:30 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bladeswitcher has a point. If your gun is not a collectors gun then altering it will have very little impact on the final value. I would not worry that much about altering the chokes on a Sterlingworth and to some extent this gun is in that class. A not so rare gun, that has very little cult collectors following. A Parker, Browning or Winchester gun, in same condition, would have ten times the potential buyers group. 99% of buyers never heard of BSA or don't care about BSA. BSA is going to be bought by the next shooter not the next collector. So make it what you want if you wish. But I still have some of those post spreader wads to try if you want.

Last edited by KY Jon; 11/06/16 11:33 AM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
I would not worry that much about altering the chokes on a Sterlingworth and to some extent this gun is in that class. A not so rare gun, that has very little cult collectors following.

In terms of numbers produced, this gun is MUCH rarer than a Sterlingworth. The market for Sterlingworths is surely a lot stronger, though. FWIW, I didn't think twice about having the chokes opened on my Sterlingworth (with reblued barrels).

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
But I still have some of those post spreader wads to try if you want.

Wow. Thanks for reminding me. I got your IM and I should have responded but I got distracted. I appreciate your kind offer. Right or wrong, I don't really like the spreader shell idea much. First, I don't reload 12 gauge because I see so little economic reason to do so (I do reload 28 gauge and intend to start reloading 2.5" 12 gauge shells). Also, I'm basically lazy and I prefer to simply dump shells in my pouch and shoot. I don't want to mess with two piles of shells.

Last edited by bladeswitcher; 11/06/16 12:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bladeswitcher
Originally Posted By: VictoryXC

* If you accept the premise that the value of anything is what buyers are willing to pay then the lack of bidders in the auction I won suggests the value of this gun is quite a bit less.

It's not a "premise". That's what the market value of anything is. I can have some view of what my guns are worth, but the real value is determined in a free and open market when others can accurately assess what is on offer and make their choice about what it is worth in competition with others of like mind.

Auctions are a relatively good way of determining value. See Rocketman's pricing charts.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback, you mention a chart by rocketman. Did a search but couldn't find it. You wouldn't be able to post a link to it would you?
Thanks
Kirk

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you don't open that choke then I'm subtracting about $200 from the price I'm going to be paying you so I can send it off immediately to Kirk Merrington and have it opened myself. Just do it!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback

It's not a "premise". That's what the market value of anything is. I can have some view of what my guns are worth, but the real value is determined in a free and open market when others can accurately assess what is on offer and make their choice about what it is worth in competition with others of like mind.

Auctions are a relatively good way of determining value. See Rocketman's pricing charts.

Absolutely true. But auction results are often influenced by the quality of the presentation. I have little doubt that if I wrote the description and provided the photos, I could double the final selling price of this gun. The seller definitely hurt himself by not doing is homework and not presenting the gun in its best light.

That said, price discovery is a lot easier for common items. There are dozens of Sterlingworths on Gunbroker every day so it's a simple matter to look at completed auctions and get a good sense of value. When only one or two examples of a particular item come up every year, it's much harder to gleen much accuracy from auction results.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.