Originally Posted By: canvasback
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Originally Posted By: lagopus
King Brown, the British army were always a professional army until the First World War when conscription became a requirement due to losses. My Great Uncle was also killed at Ypres in 1915. It was a tough war but the 1914 British professional lot were the best trained, equipped and experienced in the world at that time. Although greatly outnumbered they stopped the Germans in their tracks with the Germans believing that we were all armed with machine guns because of the speed and accuracy of fire. We then had to retreat to close the gap between us in Belgium and the French army and then it was a case of just dig in and hold. Lagopous.....

Like I said before about the Brexit vote, we've kicked your ass and saved it for centuries and now you're telling us what to do, I don't think so. smile

Your revolution succeeded mostly because the British had bigger fish to fry. We burned your White House down last time we had a violent disagreement. During WWI, you did your very best to stay out of it until the last year, and in WWII you again tried hard to stay out of it. When you did enter the fray, it was after 3 years of hard fighting already and only because you were attacked. No wonder you seemed fresh by comparison. You were.

As per my earlier post, please refrain from repeating myths or excessive jingoism. Instead, learn history and then comment on it.

Hardly a case of "we've kicked your ass and saved it for centuries"

NOooooo. I was referring to the English people, who have saved Europe for centuries, that decided to leave the EU by the Brexit vote on my post. I was NOT in any way referring to the American people.

Ahh, two people separated by a common language. smile