June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
1 members (John E), 165 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,172
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

In the little, tiny, backwater of Mpls/St. Paul you can't normally find 28 gauge ammunition. The usual suspects will have a box or two of something, but, you can usually count on one or both of them being on the order of 1oz loads of steel 4s or something else just as useless.
I ran out of 16 gauge ammunition in South Dakota one time. I was all done with that gun until I cleaned it when I got home.
Where, I had plenty of 16 gauge ammunition.
Oh well.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

People laugh at the amount of ammo and loading components I have on hand but I have never run out of shells on a hunting trip or other shooting outing. Others have and most are very happy to borrow a few boxes in their hour of need. Relying on finding shells local to where I hunt is a loosing propisition.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If today its so tough what was it like back in the 1800's?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein
In the little, tiny, backwater of Mpls/St. Paul you can't normally find 28 gauge ammunition. The usual suspects will have a box or two of something, but, you can usually count on one or both of them being on the order of 1oz loads of steel 4s or something else just as useless.
I ran out of 16 gauge ammunition in South Dakota one time. I was all done with that gun until I cleaned it when I got home.
Where, I had plenty of 16 gauge ammunition.
Oh well.

Best,
Ted

I'd be surprised if Cabela's in Rogers (and maybe the one in Woodbury) don't have both 16 and 28ga shells.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Shocked to hear that about the Cities, Ted. This is easy ammo to find in Denver. Did find some steel 6s, but that's it so-far. Thank goodness for that 37.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 12/28/16 10:18 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My grandfather ordered his shells by the case well before the season. He favored 3's and 5's and 7 1/2's. If he had a good year he would order one 3, two 5 and three or four 7 1/2 he told me. If it was a lean year he might have to make due with what carried over, adding a few from the local hardware stores inventory. They came in by rail freight which is ironic because they would ship up a few ducks back on the same railway.

Back in those days the hardware store would break open a box and sell by the shell. Farmers might buy five shells to take a boy hunting. No need to spend too much money on shells for a boy. Times were different and money was tight. My grandmother brought in eggs to the A&P stroe, my aunt brought in butter and either took store credit or got paid cash end of the month by the store. Might have been 12 cents store credit per dozen or 10 cents cash. Again money was tight and there was a fairly active barter system still going on. Most things about the good old days are long forgotten, like long hard days of hard labor and very little cash.

Last edited by KY Jon; 12/28/16 12:34 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You got it. The good old days weren't all that much, socially. I grew up in circumstances you mentioned. Looking back just 50-60 years, many things were grim.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had an argument with a man in a hardware store in Laredo, Texas when I ran out of 28 ga ammo that there wasn't such a thing, that I actually wanted 20 ga.
I learned to take enough ammo the next time

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon
My grandfather ordered his shells by the case well before the season. He favored 3's and 5's and 7 1/2's. If he had a good year he would order one 3, two 5 and three or four 7 1/2 he told me. If it was a lean year he might have to make due with what carried over, adding a few from the local hardware stores inventory. They came on by rail freight which is ironic because they would shop up a few ducks back on the same railway.

Back in those days the hardware store would break open a box and sell by the shell. Farmers might buy five shells to take a boy hunting. No need to spend too much money on shells for a boy. Times were different and money was tight. My grandmother brought in eggs to the A&P stroe, my aunt brought in butter and either took store credit or got paid cash end of the month by the store. Might have been 12 cents store credit per dozen or 10 cents cash. Again money was tight and there was a fairly active barter system still going on. Most things about the good old days are long forgotten, like long hard days of hard labor and very little cash.

When I was growing up we usually would buy about 3-4 16 ga shells at a time, which would last me 2-3 weeks. I never shot at anything flying if possible and tried to line up at least two birds at a time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was growing up we usually would buy about 3-4 16 ga shells at a time, which would last me 2-3 weeks. I never shot at anything flying if possible and tried to line up at least two birds at a time. [/quote]

Looks like we grew up learning to hunt the same way!...Geo

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.