September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (azgreg, Mike Harrell, 2 invisible), 204 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,929
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know whether I can load 16's as cheaply as the Herter's loads. At least there are wads available now that should eliminate some of the tinkering (and hoarding the old Win AA or Rem R-16 wads) I had to do in the past for anything lighter than an ounce. And the guys I shoot with who reload 16's say that the Herter's are OK hulls. Not the good target hulls you get with every other gauge, but not bad. It'd be more a case of trading off some reloading time to get lighter loads with which to do more target shooting than I'd be inclined to do with a sub-6# 16ga. Of course I can always drag out the old Savage 420 16, which weighs about 7 1/2# . . . although I would not want to tote it very far for hunting purposes!

I need to call JJ on the Darne. He called me and said he could not get it to double. Said he'd do some more checking. Figured I'd wait until after the holidays. So tomorrow, after Iowa beats Florida in the Outback Bowl . . . smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck with JJ. You have the right guy working on it. I have mentioned that problem to a few other people in my circle of Darne fanciers (mostly guys in France) and, to a one, they had never heard of a doubling R model.
That was a good looking gun, by the way.

Happy New Year, Larry.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Happy New Year to you as well, Ted . . . or Bonne Annee, as the French would say. JJ said he'd never heard of a Darne doubling either. Got to be something to do with me and Darnes! I'm beginning to confirm my suspicion that I was not meant to own one. "Normal" French guns--you bet! Sliding breech . . . I have a friend who's interested in this one once we've worked the bugs out, and I'm thinking it's going to head in that direction. Just picked up a nice Francotte 16, 2 3/4", 5 3/4#. Safety in the right place, real top lever and everything. And even from a French-speaking country!

And after Iowa's performance in the Outback Bowl, 2017 just has to get better!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry,
You haven't even given the gun a good run! I tell people to give a Darne (actually, any new gun) a good 2-3 years of use before throwing in the towel. Hell, I SOLD new guns for a living and I told them that!

I'm the opposite, it seems-I seldom sell a gun.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted, I'm thinking this particular dog is too old for that new trick.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a tidbit on 28 ga. shell availability.

The late Arkansas retail magnate ,Sam Walton was a VERY dedicated Quail hunter.
He discovered Texas and its frequent years of Bobwhite bounty in his middle years.

He quietly leased large holdings and was regular in the small town cafes and motels of the area especially in Jan. Feb. after the peak Christmas retailing season.

A chap of my acquaintance (now sadly passed) was a lifelong employee of Walton and the Company he founded.
His job evolved into being a Senior player in ordering and distributing arms and ammunition for the entire company when they were major players in guns and ammo. He frequently bird hunted with his boss as well.

Walton had a preference for short barreled 28 gauge Remington 1100's (I think they even did a model named for him just like the guns he shot.)

My friend told me of the Boss and his hunting party arriving in Texas and finding someone had neglected to place 28 ga. shells on the plane.

Walton and his man drove to the nearest Wal-Mart, and the poor store manager not knowing who he was talking to , explained to him that, No they did not carry any 28 ga. ammo , no one wanted it anyway. Walton allowed that he was going to start stocking it tomorrow, and ordered the perplexed manager to get in his car and go to San Antonio and buy him two cases of 7 1/2 or 8's and drive them to the camp.

It became a company edict that Texas WalMart's would stock 28's going forward.

Company policy may have changed since his death, but our local WalMarts, and most any I walk into for miles around here have some 28 ga. AA's on the shelf thru the end of February.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mel5141
Just a tidbit on 28 ga. shell availability. The late Arkansas retail magnate ,Sam Walton was a VERY dedicated Quail hunter....

Great Story, and I'll bet it's true as well...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: L. Brown
Ted, I'm thinking this particular dog is too old for that new trick.

Larry,
What the hell is there to learn? You have the two triggers thing down pat, use the opening lever as an especially large tang safety under your thumb, and go HUNTING!
Practice with the gun so you know where the lever has to be so it won't fire, but, that should take you all of 15 minutes, if you enjoy an adult malted beverage while you are doing it-two minutes, tops, if you just focus.
This ain't rocket science, Brown, make your decision based on how you shoot it, not operation.
That looked like a nice piece, by the way.

Best,
Ted

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.