June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
5 members (bushveld, Marks_21, 3 invisible), 470 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,579
Posts546,667
Members14,425
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow,

I know little about Lefevers or the later Ithaca guns.

After reading the threads on the other forums, I'm suspect about intentions.

IMO, that guy is pushing a "Narrative" about that gun, in hopes of generating interest as well as increasing estimated value. It smacks of the first stage of a marketing campaign, and creation of pseudo-provenance. I wouldn't be surprised that in a year or so, perhaps sooner, it pops up for sale, accompanied by a heart rendering tale about how he has to sell it to pay for another child's education, or emergency surgery for a close relative.

I'd bet that guy is a big-time Ebay seller as well.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 01/04/17 03:26 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Geo,
That gun is nice compared to the one that is the subject of this thread.

This gun was for sale within the past 6 months. I think on GI. I remember seeing it and moving on. As i recall, it was not being sold as anything it wasnt. And the price was not very out of whack. But i cant recall specifically, i just know that i have seen it before.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
After reading the thread on SS I hate to discuss the gun here. Owner is very proud of it and wants to believe it is something it is not. We know what it is, but as far as I'm concerned I think I'd rather let him believe what he wants to....

Tough one, he asked. I can't see why the fellow wouldn't make a little follow up comment once he got in contact, I guess, with W.S., unless? It doesn't seem to be just a pride issue. I think he was trying to promote it? Seemed a bit gratuitous with that awkward comment about putting his deaf daughter through college. The gun would make for interesting discussion, I think, if the fellow really wanted to.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That may have been one of the Lefevers Bass Pro had in Springfield 10 or soyears ago they wanted $6000 for. Their buyer, who later worked for Cabela's ended up with serious legal issues for his buying and selling practices!?! If any of you are interested I have some waterfront property just south of Grand Isle La. ??? lol

Sidelock
Sidelock

I read that post on SSMan
The guy said he had never been on our site here,but I remember him as Beans,but it was a few years ago ,perhaps the old board here?.
He was always going on n on about the amazing quality of the LC Smith (Master Gun Makers) & still is.
He seems to be in his own little world, though there is nothing wrong with that,of course ,as I am in mine, sometimes, lol
cheers
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

B. Dudley,

Your point is well made, which is why he's kicked up such a fuss on multiple forums. When at first he just seemed to be happy but confused, people genuinely stepped forward to offer help. But this guy...it's as if he doesn't WANT to know the truth of it. And as others have suggested, it's as if he's threading a narrative for a future sale of this backyard-engraved hardware store gun.

His reading comprehension just doesn't seem to be good enough to distinguish between (a) Syracuse sideplate Lefevers, (b) post-1916 sideplate Lefevers assembled by Ithaca from parts (so-called "transition" guns, to use his term), and (c) Ithaca's original 1921-introduced Nitro Special, which has no relation to A & B in terms of either design or heritage.

Poor Dan...the man second only to John Browning in terms of patents...bears the indignity of having his name stamped on Ithaca's 'farm tools.'

Sooner or later somebody is going to see one of these threads and pipe-in, "Yeah, my Dad sold that gun at such-and-such gun show. His brother did the engraving in exchange for two used car tires and a box of smokes."

"$1,000 grade" Lefever indeed. That 'whittled' Nitro is more like "$250 grade"...in 2017.

Nudge

Sidelock
Sidelock

he is not new at this- has been around for a long time under a couple names - on Shooting Sportsman, the Bird Dogs and Doubles forums, and here under another name no tell? where else - the Upland board?

maybe he is looking to build a base that a search will find before selling it- but his first post was years ago on this gun- its just as likely he is getting a kick out of stirring things up,

I remember him driving some Old Hemlock guys who really did know George Bird Evans well absolutely nuts many years ago with his expertise/relationship to GBE -

so- read it and laugh - or let it go - nothing has changed in the very long time I have been on the same boards

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave is Dave.
Too much Agent orange I think.
But I don't care. It's his set of delusions, and the marketplace will address them someday.

FWIW, I hold delusional Dave in much higher regard than the so-called gentlemen that have persecuted him on the internet for the last 20 years.

He doesn't seem to know any better than what he types.
The gang of school boys that chase him around certainly do.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow. I've got a Nitro Special. Can I post on the LeFever board?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper
....Too much Agent orange I think....

....delusional Dave....

....He doesn't seem to know any better than what he types.
The gang of school boys that chase him around certainly do.

On the face of it, he seems to present himself as an authoritative expert. At least, the gang had comments about the gun and the company.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.