Originally Posted By: old colonel
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Density of the pattern at greater distances. And few have enough discipline to not shoot when everyone with a 12 gauge is shooting.

Testing of a 16 gauge showed that it will print a denser pattern at 40 yards then a 20 gauge 3 inch at 30 yards. They're not even in the same league as a 12 gauge at distances beyond.

What testing and by who do you refer to?

My readings in Jones lead me to concur with Tamid in that there are more variables to be accounted for the statement to be considered, must less validated. Shot hardness, velocity, weight of charge, wads, ......... Even if all variables are made even the 2D pattern is far closer than the ten yard difference you note.

Treblig, you made a specific assertion about pattern density and gauge, you do not support your assertion beyond opinion and vague reference. While I make no arguement that traditional 7/8 20 ga, 1oz 16, and 1-1/8 12 loads yield identical patterns, but if you compare a 1 1/8 - 16ga with a 1 1/8 - 20ga there is not a ten yard difference in pattern densities.

In AC. Jones "Sporting Shotgun Performance" held on p.172 A two yard difference in pattern size between 20 & 12. The pattern density of equal weight loads are not the whopping 10 yards plus you seem to hold.

Yes 12ga loadings offer more heavyweight options, but to the hand loader given equal weight loads you can shot 16 and 3inch 20 much closer than you describe.

While I onceheld the shot stringing yeilded radically different results, Jones and other have shown minor percentage differences.

The challenge of trying to shoot 12 ga heavyweight loads through 16 and 20 sxs guns often goes to the weight and age of the gun with felt recoil and max pressures.

Last edited by old colonel; 01/12/17 10:19 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS