September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Argo44, azgreg, Karl Graebner, ksauers1, 3 invisible), 275 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,939
Posts550,918
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

gunman,
There is no need to take them apart, in fact, it is important to keep them together, to maintain the convergence. They should be reamed, while full length( running the tailstock center in the barrel being reamed). Once both barrels are reamed, then they should be cut and squared, to length. New barrels are then soft soldered in, the joint being large enough that silver brazing is not necessary.
Mike

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How deep should the joint be? I know a Birmingham trained machinist who may be willing to tackle it.

It'll end up costing a restored Bonehill, but it's worth it. He's a friend, so it's a pleasure.

Regards
Ken

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken61,
The old barrels should be cut off just ahead of the flats, so that the lugs stay on the assembly. The new barrels will need small flats filed on the side, so they fit next to each other. A new larger hinge pin should be added, so that the barrels can be fitup again. Mike

Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Ken61,
The old barrels should be cut off just ahead of the flats, so that the lugs stay on the assembly. The new barrels will need small flats filed on the side, so they fit next to each other. A new larger hinge pin should be added, so that the barrels can be fitup again. Mike

Thanks Mike.

How about the joint depth? I understand that it would be part of the initial reaming, with the hole diameter for the breech section being sized to fit the outside tube diameter. Or, do the new tubes need to be milled on the joint flange?

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 03/03/17 06:24 PM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was someone who built a double rifle by sleeving barrels into a monobloc, but he used an interference fit. He pulled that off by dunking the new barrels' chamber ends into liquid nitrogen (to shrink them by contraction)sliding them into the monobloc, then letting their return to room temperature do the rest. I can't find the thread but it was fascinating. Avoided soldering.

It's possible, though, that shotgun barrels might be too thin for that to work.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken61,
My experience with this was in the shop of a German gunsmith friend, where we used standard tubes that came already contoured and turned to size. Also, I used reamers he had already selected to size and kept at his lathe. Consequently, I can't now recall the diameters, which were in mm, and for 16 ga. tubes anyway. Walther has a website, and on this site shows dimensions of the standard tubes they sell, you could use these for a guide. That part of the site, as I recall, is pretty hard to find( it might be in the German version of the site). I wouldn't try to install them with an interference fit, as suggested above. You would only have one chance to get it right, and would have a heck of a time getting them apart if you made a mistake. I put a barrel in an Anschutz action, that are intended for interference fit. Since it was for a wildcat, I threaded the action, so I could get the barrel out, if I had to. As it turned out, I had to remove the barrel, and wouldn't have been able to do it otherwise. If you make a slip fit, leaving a thousandth or so for solder, and tin both sides, you should be able to get the tubes out if necessary.
Good luck.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, unless I'm mistaken, gunman was addressing taking the brazed beech joint apart for the purpose of using those separated barrels as donor barrels for Ken's monobloc, which of course would remain jointed.

I myself would be interested in more details about that possibility, especially how applying that much heat to the breech section affects the metallurgy of that critical area.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ken,
as to the depth of the joint....it goes all the way through the mono block. Sleever tubes are usually turned to the rim diameter. Ellis Brown's (shameless plug for a friend) book on building double rifles on shotgun actions outlines the basics. He threads his tubes for rifle barrels but this is not need for shotgun sleeving.

Vintage barrels were not heat treated so heating them to critical temperature or beyond will not have an effect on them. You do need to be careful with modern alloys. I hate heating up large masses of steel so I would likely look at setting them up in mill and cutting them apart with a slitting saw. It would require careful set up but that is just part of shop life.

Keith Kearcher did a few in the past and they came out very nice.
Did you by chance see them?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

I miss Monkey Jim.
Ken61 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Ken,
as to the depth of the joint....it goes all the way through the mono block. Sleever tubes are usually turned to the rim diameter. Ellis Brown's (shameless plug for a friend) book on building double rifles on shotgun actions outlines the basics. He threads his tubes for rifle barrels but this is not need for shotgun sleeving.

Vintage barrels were not heat treated so heating them to critical temperature or beyond will not have an effect on them. You do need to be careful with modern alloys. I hate heating up large masses of steel so I would likely look at setting them up in mill and cutting them apart with a slitting saw. It would require careful set up but that is just part of shop life.

Keith Kearcher did a few in the past and they came out very nice.
Did you by chance see them?

Thanks Steve and Mike,

It all makes sense. I must have missed seeing K K's barrels. To do all this, I assume the donor tubes must be separated, fitted into the mono block, then rejoined, regulated, and have the ribs resoldered back on.

Regards

Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 03/04/17 10:56 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[quote=Der Ami] gunman,
There is no need to take them apart, in fact, it is important to keep them together, to maintain the convergence. They should be reamed, while full length( running the tailstock center in the barrel being reamed). Once both barrels are reamed, then they should be cut and squared, to length. New barrels are then soft soldered in, the joint being large enough that silver brazing is not necessary.

I was of course referring to the "donor barrels "

As to the method of machining you suggest , let's say it is not the way I have sleeved many hundreds of guns during my working life .

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.