Originally Posted By: Stan
I totally agree with Ken about the importance of diet and health, and the importance of diet in regarding chronic diseases. I have followed an eating regimen for at least 15 years that stresses a balance of protein, carbs, (good carbs), and fat. The proper ratio is 7 - 9- 3 ......... protein to carbs to fat. When I began that I lost steadily but slowly to a very lean physique. I no longer get hungry between meals, because I do not eat sweet rolls, candy, cakes, pies, white bread, rice, or white potatoes (all bad carbs) on a daily basis. Do I cheat occasionally? Yep. I love pecan pie. But the important thing to remember about how you eat is that it's not what you eat every now and then that is determines your health, it is what you eat every day.

I wish I could have gotten my father-in-law on this regimen before he came down with Parkinson's and Alzheimers, and died within three years from them. There are great discoveries being made concerning Parkinson's. Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDjQ7lKmH3s

SRH

This nutritional pattern is appropriate once you're in a "maintenance" phase. It's not as effective initially, as detrimental conditions are cause by chronic, long-term nutritional patterns that cause resistance issues at the cellular level. Diabetes, and weight gain leading to obesity are just a few examples. Initially, it's important to enable a dietary hormonal pattern that reverses these detrimental conditions. The 7-9-3 pattern is still an insulin based one, but due to it's reduced carb intake it prevents rises in insulin and leptin resistance which lead to the development of the aforementioned detrimental conditions.

The most effective way to reverse detrimental conditions initially is to enable a lipolytic, or fat-burning hormonal secretion pattern. This lipolytic pattern is usually referred to as a "Ketogenic" diet, but the term is somewhat of a misnomer, as ketosis is merely one of four major energy pathways used during the overall state of lipolysis. It is also the most effective way to lose fat if overweight. Here's a link with basic info:

https://authoritynutrition.com/ketogenic-diet-101/

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 02/10/17 08:15 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.