Stan,

At this stage you're probably over concerned with your carb intake. Development of detrimental conditions such as fat regain is a very adaptive process, requiring a chronic nutritional pattern. It's actually very difficult to gain fat, if you're aware of the specific biochemical processes required, which are easily avoided. Let's explore what is required, in the biochemical sense.

Heavy carb-based patterns cause the creation of glycogen. Glycogen is the complex carb created by the body to store glucose on a short term basis. It is stored in the muscles and liver, and each molecule of glycogen contains three molecules of water. Once you fill up these stores, you have the conversion of glucose to triglyceride, the first step in the conversion to body fat. So, body fat gain requires a chronic overcompensation of glycogen, all due to excessive carb intake. Now, if your weight is stable, (Lipostasis) you're not overcompensating glycogen. So, if you decide to eat a lot of carbs, such as pecan pie, it's no big deal, as long as it doesn't become part of a chronic, high carb pattern. I myself have chowed down on carbs for a 10 day period, switched back To a lipolytic pattern, and after a couple of days of glycogen depletion found my weight right back to normal. Glycogen creation and depletion is the explanation for much of people's weight flux, (water weight) as it's impossible to gain and lose fat at such a high rate. My real point is that periodic, massive intake of carbs is beneficial, in a metabolic sense. I also suggest periodically being lipolytic, as it enables reduction of detrimental conditions that develop during a carb based (lipogenic) pattern, even though these conditions may not be noticeable when your weight is stable. Chronic, carb based patterns are notorious for immunosuppression, so breaking your pattern both ways is very beneficial.

Pecan pie is one of my favorite "glycogen recompensation" foods. Like a whole pie in one day.

Many years ago I made it up Whitney, despite the altitude sickness.

Regards
Ken

Last edited by Ken61; 02/10/17 10:17 AM.

I prefer wood to plastic, leather to nylon, waxed cotton to Gore-Tex, and split bamboo to graphite.