June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (buckstix, 2 invisible), 234 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,620
Posts547,065
Members14,429
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't understand the waterfowl distinction. None is made in Nova Scotia where gunning is in as harsh habitat for fowl up to largest size generally on the continent.

(Bill, don't be sad. Most of us are in the same boat or getting there. We saw the best of it.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
I don't have a British 12 waterfowler, but I do have an Alexander McComas Baltimore marked British 36" eight and a 33' Greener Royal eight. Sad that I can't handle them any more.

Did you ever hunt these guns? Is it legal to use a 8 gauge if you have 10 gauge inserts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
I don't have a British 12 waterfowler, but I do have an Alexander McComas Baltimore marked British 36" eight and a 33' Greener Royal eight. Sad that I can't handle them any more.

Now would not be bad time to move these to new homes. Given that money and interest in such things lies in older community I doubt there will be better time to move these in the future. Now back to British tea, kosher Babka from Brooklyn and Swamp People on History channel. Life is grand!

PS. Hey, I just thought of something. Our summer is their winter our crocs are their salt water crokodiles. Would it not be more fun to hunt marshes of NWT of Australia. A possibility of being taken for a roll by Salty would make the hunt more exciting, no? Sort of like hunting Ginea Fowl where Lions, Buffalo, Hippo,.....are found. Oops I forgot the African crocs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jagermeister, those BSA guns with their dovetail lump construction were the inspiration for Winchester's to construct their Model 21's along similar lines. Very strong guns. I'll see about posting a picture of mine.

Some great coastal wildfowling places all around the U.K. being an island. Lots of opportunities inland as well. I drove past a field on Thursday when off pigeon shooting and there must have been over 200 Canadian and greylag geese feeding. Look out for a copy of 'The Modern Fowler' by James Wentworth-Day first published in 1934 but has been re-printed at least three times to my knowledge. Mainly about East Anglia. I shall be off to a favourite wildfowl shooting area in the next couple of weeks (not shooting as out of season) and that is the Holy Island of Lindisfarne of the north east coast of Northumberland. I have a brilliant picture somewhere of a skein of Brent Geese flying past Lindisfarne Castle. Thought I had it in Photobucket but couldn't find it; something else to seek out and possible post.

Cheapest copy I can find is on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Modern-Fowler-J-Wentworth-Day-Shooting-Fowling-/401268710493 Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Below some pics of a W.P.Jones 10bore hammer gun that belonged to a friend of mine in Lancashire.It did some serious work on the local pinkfeet and greylags on the NW coast of Lancashire but in a weak moment he let it slip from his grasp and it now helps to control our local goose population.34" steel barrels choked full & full and 3 1/2" nitro chambered.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry, the gun looks to be a perfect complement to Mr. Short's former single-shot Greener 10 of yours. Was the Jones double re-barreled or sleeved?? Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Gil, I guess I should elaborate"the rest of the story" as the title does say 12ga.waterfowl guns.This gun has undergone a pretty major transformation.The gun appears to have been made in the 1890's with this set of steel barrels. It has three sets of proof marks beginning with the first 12 ga.black powder marks and then being nitro re-proofed post 1925 with 3" 12 ga.marks and finally
being re-chambered and magnum proofed for 3 1/2" 10 ga. in 1962.
I believe it was first built as a chamberless 12 and originally over bored for thin brass cases.The bores measured .765 at 10 ga. proof and remain the same with min.wall thickness of .055. The gun weighs 9 lbs. 14 oz.Seriously heavy barrels.You don't have to worry about stopping your swing once you get them moving...

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a gun, Clipped fences and big barrels. I sadly did not buy a great Purdey Damascus hammer gun proved for 3 1/2" magnum tens

Sidelock
Sidelock

90% of all my wingshooting is waterfowling. Pics of heavy 12's and 10's really do "it" for me. Thank you to Terry and the other fellows who go to the trouble of posting such pics.

Mergus

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.