September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, LeFusil, 3 invisible), 236 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,931
Posts550,844
Members14,460
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R.C. #475321 03/17/17 07:16 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oops, I meant one pulls the bolt back and presses square button at rear of shell lifter which drives the bolt forward into the firing position. After the trigger is pulled off safe the gun functions in self-loading mode until magazine is empty. Truly wonderful experience.

R.C. #475323 03/17/17 07:43 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chrome bores are delightful when it comes to cleaning. That being said, assuming you're using plastic wads, your problem might well be one of plastic buildup rather than lead. Not sure what problems go along with that. But regular cleaning solves it.

R.C. #475371 03/17/17 01:54 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Plastic build up can really fool you. The bore will look great while underneath the plastic is corrosion. I have found it particularly so when I started reloading. I have started using one of those bore cleaning fluids and not just depending on good old Hoppe's and a wire brush.

R.C. #475374 03/17/17 02:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You guys are scaring me. I'm going to start checking my guns a little better. Do you think moisture is actually getting under the lead or plastic ? I would think the pitting was already there, then covered up by the plastic and lead.

R.C. #475381 03/17/17 04:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Erethism or Mad Hatter's Disease is quite real
http://www.medicinenet.com/mercury_poisoning/article.htm

As adults we can chose the risks we take. Not so unborn babies and children, and a responsible father or grandfather would be VERY careful to avoid in utero or childhood exposure to mercury, and lead.

R.C. #475541 03/19/17 10:49 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Derw I have taken the trouble to read the Mad Hatter's article and the first thing that struck me was it was written by a basic researcher that went into a Library and took out the books on Mercury. The reason I say this is because there was nothing in the article that has not been known about for near on a hundred years. The most remarkable part of the article was the Mercury in fish part this is just old news dressed up to look new. In fact it was an incident some time past that happened in Japan caused by a battery manufacturing plant discharging its waste in costal waters. My opinion of this article is news media hype!
But I will give you food for thought, if you take your self in to a large Art Gallery that has a lot of old master oil paintings hanging on the walls, the lead and mercury vapours from the pigments in the paint is on the high side. Now that is news but the reason they don't make a big thing about it is MOMEY! MONEY! MONEY! and invested interest in the billions of Pounds and Dollars for paintings. And a Final thought the artist Michelangelo had green teeth from the pigments he used in fact lead poisoning, there was also thoughts along the line that Mercury in the pigments had affected his brain in later life.
And my final thoughts are why do we still use the dirty Diesel Engine that pumps out unseen Particulates all the time in to the air, it is killing millions of people and the unborn annually. Could it be something to do with vested interest and MONEY!
This puts the problems with Mercury very much in perspective doesn't it?

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
R.C. #475542 03/19/17 11:03 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not really, if the exposure occurs to my unborn child, child or grandchild.

More reading about Minamata disease from The Register
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/14/the_odd_body_minimata_disaster/
Take a look
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihFkyPv1jtU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSKdkssJ6I0

Have we learned anything?
An entire generation is growing up in China exposed to industrial chemicals (esp. lead) and will pay a terrible cost.
Gold miners in Brazil are using mercury to process the gold, and dumping the stuff in the Amazon.
Yes, it is all about money, and greed.

R.C. #475546 03/19/17 11:36 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

As I said Drew old news made to look new. If you have family living in japan that is unfortunate, though I thought you lived on the other side of the world. We could go on and talk about Union Carbide and Bhopal but to me that is on the other side of the world to me, and I don't have any family there. As I said all media hype! I don't need any further education on heavy metals at one time earned a living in that dangerous world of producing storing and shipping them.
You seem to have ignored the diesel engine! And where you not surprised that I did know about the Japan incident. you did not put that forward until I told you.
Drew leave me in peace and I will leave you in piece, pissing up the wall contests I grew out of well before I got married.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
R.C. #475569 03/19/17 04:27 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had/have no interest in making this personal, and apologize if my outrage appears selective. Let me repeat: Adults may feel free to do whatever they wish regarding exposure to mercury.

I remember vividly when this image was published in Life magazine June 2, 1972. I decided then that there was a legitimate role for government in restraining evil; by the time the consequences made it to Tort or the Criminal Justice system it was far too late for the victims
https://iconicphotos.org/2009/05/06/tomoko-uemura-in-her-bath/

I've also professionally seen the neuro-cognitive and behavioural consequences of chronic lead exposure in inner-city children.

Just trying to protect the kids Damascus, down the block or the other side of the world, and foolish enough to think possibly I can make some tiny difference, somewhere. And that's not just an empty hope. Personally treating these kid's intestinal parasites, and giving them multivitamins and food might do just that. No, they are mine either, but I believe we have the same Father

R.C. #475571 03/19/17 05:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's a neat list from our own Food and Drug Administration of Drug and Biologic products which contain the dreaded element mercury to this very day:

https://www.fda.gov/regulatoryinformatio...a/ucm100218.htm

The mercury containing chemical Thimerosal is a preservative frequently used in vaccines, and is even used in those vaccines routinely given to infants and children, such as DPT vaccine. Of course, dental amalgam containing mercury is still in widespread use simply because it lasts longer and performs better than the non-mercury alternatives. I'd imagine that most of us were routinely painted with Mercurochrome or Merthiolate by our Mom's when we cut ourselves or skinned our knees.

About 50% of the world's exposure to mercury contamination is from natural sources such as emissions from volcanic activity.

That said, I would do everything I could to reduce or eliminate exposure to mercury by myself or my kids. Although I can get mercuric chloride, I won't be mixing up any of Angier's recipes that utilize it because there are safer alternatives. Mercury is seriously bad stuff, but the risks from the limited exposure found in most modern cultures appear to be somewhat exaggerated. Excessive regulation of heavy metals here isn't doing much, if anything, to prevent Brazilians from dumping them into the Amazon, or Chinese from exporting consumer goods painted or tainted with them. Damascus obviously understands the risks, and knows how to minimize and control them. Certain others here probably shouldn't be permitted to use scissors or pencils without adult supervision.

Now, perhaps... a word or two from an anti-2nd Amendment guy with a giant carbon footprint, who helps feed a multi-megawatt biomass burning power plant at a pulp mill in Canada...

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.