June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
3 members (azgreg, Gitano, Ted Schefelbein), 147 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,631
Posts547,171
Members14,430
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
builder #476587 03/30/17 09:41 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Start with a brake cylinder hone dipped in light motor oil. Spin the hone up and down the chamber a few times using your power drill. Now if you really want to make it slick, after the brake hone take either a chamber brush or a 10 gauge barrel brush, wrap it in fairly course steel wool and dip it in the orange colored automotive rubbing compound (basically jewelers rouge) and then spin it in the chamber with a power drill. You'll end up with a shiny mirrored chamber.

I've done this drill on several guns. However, the most memorable was a new Remington 870 Express. It was so rough that Remington should've been ashamed.

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 03/30/17 10:09 AM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
builder #476632 03/30/17 04:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

You also might want to try this. Take a 1/4 in dowel and split it down the middle. Into the split, put a strip of emery cloth ( whatever grit you might need for the job ). Put the dowel into a power drill and have at it.

builder #476634 03/30/17 05:07 PM
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not all Ithaca pump stuck shell issues can be cured by chamber polishing. Les Hovencamp, former head smith at old Ithaca, re-cuts or enlarges the barrel notches wherein the extractor/ejector hooks engage the round's rim. This made the difference on an old 20 gauge I had issues of extraction of steel headed ammo. In a new 870 Express, the chamber was noticeably rough and wouldn't handle Remington loads, but would properly digest Winchester. Go figure...Gil

builder #476635 03/30/17 05:23 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 16 G Remington 31 that extracts fine but will let a Herters shell slip past the shell stop go under the lifter and drop out of the bottom of the action 2 or 3 shells per box.

Fooled with it a lot never cured until I ran Remington Game loads through the gun without any problems. Milked a box of New Herters shells, rim thickness, rim width, brass at base diameter. Wide variance in dimensions. Friend with a Browning O/U has problems with Winchester Wal Mart cheap shells. Never has any problem with better quality hulls. Shells get so cheap they are not reliable.

You can polish chambers have done several old rough Rifles and Shotguns with a split wood insert turned to chamber size & emery paper spun in a drill press. . 400 grit has been all they needed, but would not be concerned going as far as 360 or 280. I like the wood insert to be very close to chamber size, keeps it centered better. First choice would be to use better ammo. But if you are going to learn how to do it barrel that can be replaced is a good place to start.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 03/30/17 05:26 PM.
builder #476644 03/30/17 07:12 PM
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was at Cabelas today and bought a box of Winchester AA's to try better ammo first. That way I can at least play with my Ithaca for a while. Not thrilled with the $10/box price though. I will follow up with a brake hone since I think it is too rough no matter what. If the AA's work fine I will try Remington gun clubs or federal top guns to see if they work. At least I don't have to worry about lower pressure loads like half my SxS's The split dowel in a drill press did not work very well for me in the past. Thanks all for your help.

So many guns, so little time!
builder #476671 03/30/17 10:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Herter's shells in 12, 16, and 20 with complete reliability and satisfaction in 'most' guns.

That said, steel headed shells of EU origin can and do have rims that are on the small side of specification. Older guns with chambers near maximum may not be compatible.

Steel has less rebound, and can indeed be a tad 'sticky'.

I do appreciate the low cost factory shells from Herter's, Rio, Estate, etc.

Activ taught us years ago that no metallic rim is necessary on a shotshell, just a steel ring contained in the plastic to give the extractor something firm to grab on to. The market rejected it.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
builder #476674 03/30/17 10:20 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Herter's are good shells when they can be found on sale otherwise I can buy inexpensive game loads from Remington, Federal, Winchester at Walmart for less. Some but not all Walmarts even carry Winchester and STS Remington target loads at about $7.50 per box. The big advantage is Walmart is only 10 minutes from my house and Cabela's is 30.

builder #477170 04/06/17 08:32 AM
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I ruled out extractor problem because after firing (after taking it apart and cleaning and lubing -I think it was unfired since birth and it is 17 years old) I could not pull the forearm back so the extractor must be holding onto the shell.

Well, I did it. Bought a brake cylinder hone on Ebay, three arm, barely fit in the chamber, ran it for about ten seconds slowly with an electric drill. Looked inside and the chamber looked very uniform but not shiny. The hone showed wear.

Went sporting clay shooting yesterday. Sticking problem better but still there. A little better with AA shells than Herters. Third station I was ready to throw the gun out. By the fifth station it ran smooth with no problems anymore. This is not a stiff gun so all I could attribute it to was the smoothing of the chamber walls as I used the gun.

I like this gun. It is a nice change of pace for me and lots of fun. I usually shoot SxS's.

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement. All's well that ends well.

Last edited by builder; 04/06/17 11:25 AM.

builder #477195 04/06/17 06:09 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah!

'Rough chamber' theory possibly busted.

Slide action guns have a little feature called an 'inertia lock'.

The idea is to prevent the action from opening until a shell is fired, or the shooter operates some sort of 'action release' which can be either a latch lever, or simply moving the slide forward as it naturally wants to do under recoil.

After the fifth station, did you change technique at all? If the inertia lock is causing the problem, try a heavier load on the first shot.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
builder #477209 04/06/17 10:56 PM
builder Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Ithaca has the release at the front of the trigger guard and it requires a substantial effort to use it. Pulling the trigger by dry firing releases the forearm. You do not need recoil to release the forearm.

This time the shells no longer got stuck in the chamber forcing us to take the gun apart to remove it. The extractor grabbed it several times in the first few stations and required serious effort to overcome, at one point I banged the gun down on the wood support at an elevated station (rubber butt pad) while pulling down on the forearm and it released and ejected the shell. Most of the time it worked fine( maybe 80%), possibly caused by different dimensions of each Herter shell. The AA shells required less effort and did it less often.

I uses two types of shells as noted above. I used the same type of shell for all three pair at a station switching only at the next station. All the loads were one ounce. The Herters were 1290 fps. The AA were slower but I don't recall their speed. I threw in some Herters low recoil at 1060 fps but only after the problem seemed to be gone and the AA's were all used up. It made no difference.

I believe there was no change in technique. I did switch to a Browning Superposed when the frustration level was too high but switched back to the pump after a station. It still stuck at that next station. Then it cleared up a station or two later.

Before working on the chamber, the extractor was not able to pull some of the hulls (maybe 20% but just a guess) out of the chamber and by forcing the forearm disengaged and the gun cycled but the hull remained. This did not happen even once after the work.

I am leaning toward the smoother chamber walls solving the problem. Not sure why it got better as I used the gun. the walls of the chamber were not shiny after the work but maybe the firing and action smoothed it more.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.