September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Birdog, Der Ami, CJ Dawe, J.B.Patton, bushveld, 3 invisible), 257 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,884
Posts550,433
Members14,454
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#47738 07/11/07 10:02 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Howdy folks... I'm looking at an old Savage single shot 12b with a Tenite stock, just a rough old gun to use when I'm yard-working my dogs... It's in fair condition but I'm concerned about a small crack behind the trigger tang... Any one out there have any experience with this sort of thing? Can it be ignored or repaired? Or should I keep looking? Thanks... John

Tenite was one of the early composite/"plastic" stocks. They are tough but ?chintzy? looking. The stock is attached to the receiver by a through bolt. Repair is easy, remove or loosen stock fill cleaned crack with acraglas, c-clamp till glas is hardened, remove clamp tighten bolt and shoot. Best, Dr. BILL

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you, Dr. Bill. That's what I needed to know... John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chintzy?!!!

Hurummphhh! Indeed sir, have you no couth? I'll have you know that as a lad of tender years I pined for, nay coveted, a Remington .22 with a genuine Tenite stock. I still bear the emotional scars from this unrequited love. You lay bare old wounds with your slanderous words.

We'll speak of this no more.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn Fewless; 07/11/07 04:21 PM.

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Glenn Fewless
Chintzy?!!!

Hurummphhh! Indeed sir, have you no couth? I'll have you know that as a lad of tender years I pined for, nay coveted, a Remington .22 with a genuine Tenite stock. I still bear the emotional scars from this unrequited love. You lay bare old wounds with your slanderous words.

Glenn

So if I give you a Rem 22 with Tenite stock, would that be a fair exchange for say a Frank Wesson long range?

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Glenn Fewless
Chintzy?!!!

Oh, yes we will. The Remington Nylon 66 came out long after I "was a lad of tender years" and a good bit after the chintzy Tenite showed it's ugly face of the war years that graced the Stevens and Savage junk. Chintzy is as chintzy looks, as Tom Hanks used to say. JMO, of course. Those with no taste are quite free to differ.

Glenn

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Was the stock of a nylon 66, in fact, Tenite? I would have guessed they were different materials. Different, chintzy looking materials.
Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

You don't think Remington, America's Oldest Importer, would lie, do you. If they say it was Nylon, that's good enough for me. Chintzy.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Remington being owned by DuPont at the time I'd say nylon is a real good bet!!!

Tentite first appears in the 1940 Stevens/Springfield/Crescent-Davis illustrated price list on the Stevens No. 530M double. The No. 530 with a walnut stock had a dealer's price of $19.30 and a suggested retail price of $24.00. The No. 530M had a dealer's price of $18.20 and a suggested retail price of $22.75. For $3.25 extra either could be had with a non-selective single trigger. Offerings were the same for 1941 with prices up about $2 across the board.

Post WW-II the Tentite offerings expanded to include the Model 94 hammer single barrel, the now Stevens Model 311 double barrel and the Model 22-410 over & under. Also for 1948 the new Stevens Model 124 Cross Bolt Repeating 12-gauge Shotgun was introduced with the Tentite stock. Offerings were the same for Tentite stocked guns in 1949. By 1951 the only such stock still offered was on the Model 124 and the name Tentite wasn't mentioned, just "durable service-proven molded plastic." By the 1952 catalogue everything is walnut or walnut finished hardwood.

Of interest in these period catalogues they show a fabulous presentation Model 99. The 1948 catalogue says it was presented to "His Imperial Highness Shahpur Mohommedreza Pahlavi of IRAQ by the late President Franklin D. Rossevelt." The 1949 and later catalogues correct this to IRAN.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tenite was also on the model 240, .410 O/U shotgun. I had one. Still chintzy.

> Jim Legg <

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.