Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
I might add that Cabela's currently has one in the Gun Library in 28 gauge. Choked improved cylinder, 5 lbs, 27.5" barrel. Unfortunately, I feel that their $729 price tag is out of line.

I think I bought my 28 for about $100, and sold it for about $100. The world was a younger place when I did that, however. Ditto on the 20 gauge.
The 12 I own cost about $80, brand new in the box (which, I still have for it).
$700+ for a single shot is out of line. It would be over priced at half that.

My Mom is a hell of a mother, but, not a hunter. I boxed at about 112 lbs all through high school, and Dad insisted on big loads for everything, and the gun was quite unpleasant to shoot that way and at that weight.
A used 20 gauge pump would have made so much more sense, and I bought one on my own a few years later, another gun I still have. Dad never owned anything but a 12, said he didn't believe in anything else.

Some of the ideas of what makes a good youth shotgun are pretty far out. The Companion and Beretta singles are more of an expert's gun, and useful for lots of walking, and little shooting. Not a great kids gun. The Mossberg youth 20 gauge pump that comes with two stocks is also good example of a poorly thought out kids gun. It is actually too light, too short, and the blast from the muzzle is a mere 18" from the new shooters eye and ears. It is unpleasant to shoot with almost any load produced today.
I am mid-stream on converting one of these to an older 28" Mossberg 20 gauge barrel, the lug has to be relocated because of the 2 round chamber, and just waiting until the kid fits the longer of the two plastic stocks.

Then, it will be a decent youth shotgun.

Best,
Ted