Originally Posted By: bls
Gents,
I've been looking for a good condition Webley Scott 700 for a while now (Grouse/Woodcock), and I seem to find a lot of the 26" Bbl models, but the 28" is harder to find, particularly in better condition. Ideally I'd like a sub 6lb 16 or 20. I've only had one previous gun at 26", a rather heavy Citori 12g and it didn't swing very well at all (for me). Formerly used to use a 28" Arrieta 20g for Upland.

-Will the 26" guns hold their value going forward. Many seem to languish on dealer shelves, I've seen the same ones for a while now.

-Toward the end of production did Webley make more of the 26" Bbl guns?

-Is there a practical difference in SxS guns in the swing/feel of the 26 v 28

-Other thoughts and your opinions appreciated on this issue that has been around For Ever. Just stirring up some discussions.

First, a question.

What was wrong with the Arrieta 20 gauge you were using? Was there a good reason it wasn't working out in the grouse woods?

Now, one by one, to the best of my ability:

I doubt lower grade double guns, especially in 12 gauge, with 26" tubes, will be considered a great investment, or, simply one that holds their value in the future. Of late, I have been rather startled by the actual realized price on very good English sidelock guns at auction, lower than in the past. I suspect this is not what would be considered a growth market. For the hunting you mentioned, either length would be just fine. If you were trying to wring a few more clay targets out of a regular league shoot, the 28" MIGHT work out better. You can find excellent 26" guns for slim money, if you are patient.

Webley made a lot of the 26" guns for the American market. There was a period of time, say from 1965 to 1980, when popular American sports writers were praising short barreled guns for all pursuits. That is why you see them, here. They were what sold.

For grouse and woodcock hunting, there won't typically be a difference noted between 26 and 28" tubes. You don't often get a "swing" in that type of hunting, it is often just a "poke".

Grouse season comes in two different flavors, early and late season. I'm not the guy who has to be out on opening day, swatting mosquitoes, sweating in 80 degree temps, and hearing more birds flush than I see. But, if I were, I'd probably use my 25" barreled Darne 12 gauge, with little and less choke in the barrels. I actually use that gun most of the season, for grouse hunting, anyway, and don't find it to be a handicap.
I haven't shot a woodcock in about a decade. I just don't see as many as I used to, and if the dog handled one superbly, I'd take it, but, she hasn't, yet.

Perhaps you could rent versions of both barrel lengths at your local club, and shoot some 5 stand or grouse walk, and get a better feel for what would work out best for you.

Good luck with whatever you end up with, and keep us posted about how it works out.

Best,
Ted